Dog with diarrhea

Old 07-28-17, 10:52 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Dog with diarrhea

My dog had bad diarrhea so the vet gave me two antibiotics for him. We are now on day 8 of 10. Tonight we were outside and he kept trying to lick his behind so I took a look, big red swollen area.

Here is a picture after a half hour soak in the tub and some shampoo...

Name:  today sm.jpg
Views: 4516
Size:  35.6 KB

Does this look like an impacted anal gland? I found a youtube and I ain't sticking my finger anywhere inside. Is it possible to just squeeze from the side or is it back to the vet? $$$$$

Poor guy.

Thanks

Old 07-28-17, 11:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Sorry Baldwin.... that title was a little much.

Old 07-29-17, 12:56 AM
B
Oh, the "A" gland part? Well, that is what it's called. I'm just
glad I don't have them.

I was thinking of putting some bag balm on it but seeing
he has been on antibiotics for 8 days now it can't be infected.
I could be wrong but I thought someone told me you can kind
of squeeze it like a pimple?

And why does this stuff always seem to happen on a weekend?

Old 07-29-17, 02:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Baldwin,

It looks more like an impacted gland which would be definitely different than a simple infection...if it were my dog, I'd be off to the vet to be sure.

Though you pup has been on antibiotics, some infections require specific antibiotics to kill them. So again, back to the vet.

For the record, ask your vet to show you how to express the glands, you do NOT have to do anything on the inside. It is very possible to express them from the outside usually.

Do please keep us posted!

Old 08-08-17, 01:22 PM
B
Probably not--my words of the day

It is very possible to express them from the outside usually.
I did manage to do that but that seems to be the least of our worries now.

Besides the diarrhea he also noticed hair loss on both sides so they did a blood test. He said mild peritonitis, bacterial infection and no idea why the hair loss.

Ex brought her dog in today (very aggressive cancer) to get stitches out and received a written report of my visit. At that the vet said my dog probably has cancer. Don't know why, my vet didn't mention it to me.

Before leaving she talked with a long time friend there, the vet tech, and she said probably cancer, too. Geezz.

I now have 10 more days of meds, we'll see what happens. I have two days left on a bland diet, one day it looks like progress then the next not so much. I WILL be going back to the vet if it doesn't improve shortly.

If anyone knows what these mean I'd appreciate your comments.

Name:  RESULTS 2A.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  RESULTS 1A.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  34.3 KB

So, PROBABLY NOT it is, he's only 7.

Thanks

Name:  Riles4 SM.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  46.5 KB

Old 08-08-17, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Baldwin,

First thing, I am sorry that you are in such a position. Your vet should have called you to talk to you about the bloodtests. Have you felt or found any other lumps, bumps or bulges? If not, don't panic yet.

I am much too rusty to manage reading your bloodtests. I would definitely be talking to the vet about doing more testing, like either an ultrasound or x-ray to see if they can spot any specific tumors or masses.

Unless any testing proves cancer, or tumors that are malignant, talk to your vet before assuming that your dog has cancer. Many tumors/masses are benign and not dangerous.

I've been down this road before and hopefully, you'll have better news with the next vet visit.

Do keep us posted.

Old 08-09-17, 12:33 PM
B
Your vet should have called you to talk to you about the bloodtests.
My bad, trying to keep it short. He said the test would take about 15 minutes and if I wait he'll explain it, which I did.

The blood test was mainly to find out why he was losing his hair and that is pretty much what we talked about although he did mention mild pancreatitis and nothing about the dreaded "C" word.

And he did say if I noticed any swelling etc to give him a call.

... vet said my dog probably has cancer. Don't know why, my vet didn't mention it to me.
Now that I think about it I can't believe I was stupid enough to even write that. Some people freak out with worry over the "C" word. Now imagine if he told someone their pet probably has cancer then two months later he says, "no cancer, he's fine."

They would be giddy for about 2 minutes then they'd chew the poor vet up and down for all the worry he caused over nothing, "what the hell is the matter with you?" Tough spot I'm sure figuring out how people would react. I'm fine either way, my glass is usually half full.

Last two days of his bland diet, half bland-half dog food, and he eats it right up which is firming his stools nicely. Also, no pain that I notice, he drinks his usual amount of water, always ready to chase the ball and no accidents. Knock on wood.

I hope I didn't sound unhappy with the vet, great crew over there and well worth the hour drive... I pack a lunch.

And thank you for the comments, better days ahead I'm sure.

Old 08-09-17, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Baldwin,

I am glad to hear all the good news~!~

As for the bland diet, also glad to hear it is working. Funny the timing as my Mobility Service Dog had a bout of diarrhea about the same time...if you didn't like your little guy having it...consider my "Little" Service Dog is 180 pounds and due to mobility issues, is trained to use potty pads Indoors!!!

Name:  IMG_20160107_145355.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  20.6 KB

Still keep us posted on your guy's progress, and hopefully he'll be back to his normal soon!

Last edited by RhainyC; 08-09-17 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to add attachment

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: