Dry skin?

Old 01-06-18, 06:50 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Dry skin?

I have a 2 y.o female black dane who has a pea size bump on her back that at first look appears to be a mole but if you move her hair to the side you can see a lump of dry flaky skin when touched it makes her arch her back as if its itchy. Our nearest vet is about an hour so if its just an allergy or winter dry skin I don't want to make the trip. Any thoughts?

Old 01-07-18, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
It sounds like it could be a fatty cyst if it moves and is encapsulated. I'd say leave it alone and have your vet check it. It could be nothing but it could be something that needs biopsy.

Do keep us posted

Old 01-09-18, 05:51 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It's not a cyst unless its been and gone because eventually the "dry clump" just flakes away like heavy duty dandruff but there will always be another one, id say on average there are 4-5 of these on her back at a time but like I said because its dry after a few days its flaked away but another will replace it. Almost as if there are little people on her back making huts to live in and when it gets torn down they build a new one.

Old 01-10-18, 12:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
H3re2Learn,
There are a lot of different parasites and tumors that can act the way you are describing. Perhaps "cyst" wasn't the right term to use in this incident.

Since they keep coming back, I would still recommend a trip to the vet for biopsy. I have always played the 'Better Safe Than Sorry' card in such cases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: