Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Insect, Pests and Animal Control. Home Pets and Farm Animals > Pets, Wild and Farm Animals
Reload this Page >

Self-heating (propane?) Terrarium so snake doesn't die during winter power outag

Self-heating (propane?) Terrarium so snake doesn't die during winter power outag

Old 10-29-19, 07:08 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

Seriously considering getting a snake but with me being out of town for stretches at a time, roommates out for weekends, and power outages all too frequent I'd be more comfortable with a terrarium that ran off a propane tank as the heat source rather than electricity.
Can't find one online, anyone know of one or another option (assuming no one's home when the power goes out)?

Old 10-29-19, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
You aren't going to find a basic automatic propane heater. You could look into a vented wall heater. If you wanted it to run with no power (power failure) it would probably be a standing pilot unit. You could be looking at well over a grand.

Old 10-30-19, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I have to agree, the vented wall heater is your best bet. I'd actually suggest that perhaps a snake may not be the best pet, if you and your roommates are gone for long stretches at a time...they take more care than most folks need. But, if you're sure you definitely want one, be sure that you do sort out the heating and also probably go with a more mature snake that has a set eating habit, so you have something to base your feeding schedule from.

Old 10-30-19, 04:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
If you travel frequently and for long periods I would even say it's not fair to the animal to have any pet.

Old 10-30-19, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I also agree.
Our family has gone through a wide variety of pets but since the kids left our lifestyle would make us too irresponsible to care for a pet.
The ony one we think we could handle is a pet rock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: