Neighborhood cat uses my detached garage as a litterbox

Old 07-05-22, 09:50 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Neighborhood cat uses my detached garage as a litterbox

I've stored a bunch of stuff in the garage with enough room to keep my bike in there.
The doors are french door style and there's enough of an opening for the cat to get in.
Doors are a pita to line up and then things change with the weather.
Only thing I thought of was putting a litterbox in there, is that the best option even tough it takes up more space?

Old 07-05-22, 10:46 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
The best option is to keep the cat out. Either block the opening where it enters or optionally, trap the cat and turn it over to animal control.

RhainyC voted this post useful.
Old 07-05-22, 11:01 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I like having the cat around to mitigate the DC rodent problem.
Blocking the opening would entail a frustrating afternoon of measuring/building/lining up new doors.
(yes I know everyone says it's a 30 minute job but w me add a 0 to whatever time it would take the average person)
if there's no other way I'll try putting a litter box in there

Old 07-05-22, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I have never tried it but I hear they make some products to keep cats off objects. Here is one I found to keep cats out of gardens: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-5-lbs-...s&locale=en-US Might be worth a try.

Old 07-05-22, 01:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is the cat peeing or pooping inside the garage? If it's peeing it may be a territorial sign and you might have other cats in the area or in the garage. You might also try a train camera in the garage to find if you one or multiple cats or maybe it's not even the cat leaving the mess. Whichever, a litter box is a good place to start. A feral/wild cat might not use it but it's worth a try.

RhainyC voted this post useful.
Old 07-06-22, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
MichaelChang,

I have to agree with the others. Catch and turn over to the local Humane Society is the best option, but the litter box and/or blocking off the entry point is probably the best thing to start.

Do keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: