Ford Ranger battery

Old 04-18-16, 05:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ford Ranger battery

I've been trying to get a battery for my mom's 98 Ranger. When I went to auto parts stores, they call for a 58 series, which is never available. I didn't have any luck getting them to sell me one by size with a few more cranking amps, but one sold me a gel battery that they said would be fine. I'm convinced that her charging system can't keep it up- we've already had problem with a drained battery. It would be easy to get the correct battery from my favorite old school parts store but I would like to give her more than 580 cranking amps. Can anyone tell me why the 58 series is specified for Rangers?

Old 04-18-16, 05:58 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Try rockauto.com _______________________________

Old 04-18-16, 07:07 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
The 58 is the size and tells you it's a top terminal battery.
https://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm
It's by far one of the most common sized batterys, not sure why your having trouble finding one.
A Gel battery is great but cost far more and just not needed in your case.

Old 04-18-16, 09:19 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I'm convinced that her charging system can't keep it up- we've already had problem with a drained battery
Sounds to me like you have another problem like maybe a bad alternator.

Old 04-18-16, 08:30 PM
M
The big chain auto parts joints and my favorite tire place all said the same thing. I'm with you. I didn't see anything special about the battery at all.

Old 04-19-16, 02:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
10 or so yrs ago a local auto parts chain store claimed my old truck could only use their $75 battery and refused to sell me any other battery so I left, came back another day, picked the $50 battery that I wanted off the shelf and paid for it [to keep from arguing I said it was for my tractor] Hard to believe but that battery is still in my truck and doing fine [unless I don't drive it for several weeks]

Old 04-19-16, 03:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are having a discharge problem, check the battery with the negative cable off and an ohm meter between the battery and cable. All doors shut and ignition off and hood lamp removed from holder. It should give you a good indication if there is a current leak. Your alternator may not be up to snuff, as mentioned earlier. Have you had its output checked?

Old 04-19-16, 03:34 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Chandler, that's a great test but don't forget that the clock always drains juice & gives an indication of a leak. At least it did on older cars. A test light can be used, if an ohm meter isn't available.

Old 04-19-16, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I guess I was thinking basic "Ranger" without frills of modern vehicles. Nowadays you have drains, although minor everywhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: