Towing ball

Old 06-11-16, 06:39 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Towing ball

I bought an enclosed trailer and the tongue is just to short to make a tight turn.Can I extend ball bar thats mounted into reciver about 12" without it causing any problems towing trailer.Thanks for your help

Old 06-11-16, 07:07 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I can think of a couple of possible problems.

First, it's likely to scrape a lot more often when you are driving up or down a steep driveway apron, for example.

Second, you are increasing the effective tongue weight of the trailer because you are applying the weight further away from the vehicle. It's hard to say how much because it depends on the type of hitch and vehicle, but it could be 25% or more. If the tongue weight of the fully loaded trailer is close to what your vehicle can handle, it will be a problem. Note this is not the same as towing capacity, it's the amount of downward weight on the hitch the vehicles suspension can handle.

You might be better off looking at having an extended coupler installed on the trailer.

Old 06-11-16, 10:27 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks I will listen to your advice.Thanks alot

Old 06-12-16, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Paul's advice is spot on.

I will add that you did not offer any specifics on the weight of the trailer and the type of vehicle and class of hitch mounted to it.
It could be possible a 12" extension would work but you need to make sure that an allowance can be made to do it safely.
I had made a 24" extension to tow a boat with a 10' truck camper and made adjustments to do so.

Why can you not make tight turns?
Is it because the vehicle will hit the corner of the trailer or part of an "A frame" style tongue?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: