Ranger Won't Start on Its Own

Old 04-06-17, 08:06 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ranger Won't Start on Its Own

Our 2000 Ford Ranger (V6) was parked at a trailhead all day with the lights accidentally left on. Started with a jump and driven home, approximately 30 miles (40 mins). When truck got back, turn key and it tried to start for maybe two seconds, then went silent. Charged it with another vehicle and got it up to maybe trying four seconds, then again went silent. Jumped it off, let it charge off its own alternator for about ten minutes, got maybe four seconds trying, then silence.

Changed terminals because others were old and used baking soda water to clean rusted (not corroded) wires. Charged with other vehicle, jumped, let charge from alternator, end result was that it was no longer trying (turning over), instead rapid clicking.

Next morning, jumped it off and wife drove it to her office, about 40 mins away. When time to leave, just clicking, so she jumped from another vehicle and drove home. At home, again with the clicking (no turning over). I repositioned the positive wires and reinstalled the terminal, she drove it to work and back next day, same results.

Without doing anything, I put the multimeter to the battery. It read 10.something, so I charged with another vehicle for 15 mins, disconnected the jumper cables and Ranger battery read 12.84. Turned the key, but all I got was clicks. Checked battery again, it had fallen to 12.4.

Jumped it off again. With engine running and alternator putting out, multimeter said 14.something. Let it charge for a few minutes, tried it again, just clicks.

My gut is to redo the negative side, though everything on both sides looks right.

Anyone have any other suggestions of something I should try or check?

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Old 04-06-17, 10:16 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Sounds like the day the lights were left on simply killed the battery, if it's not holding a charge and the vehicle is putting out correct voltage you need a new battery!

Old 04-06-17, 10:32 PM
T
The clicking with the battery at 12.84 without turning over is what confuses me, especially since it was (weakly) turning over before I replaced the terminals. I've bought a few unnecessary batteries in the past and have been looking at other possibilities, trying not to do it again.

Thanks

Old 04-06-17, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Take it out and take it to just about any auto parts place. They'll load test it.

Jumping to charge or just running it to charge puts a surface charge on. May have volts, but no amps. Only way to test is with a load.

Old 04-07-17, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd put the battery on a charger and go from there. A load test doesn't determine a lot if the battery is discharged. It needs more than just charging thru jumper cables.

Old 04-07-17, 03:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Just an example I have had a six amp charger take more than twelve hours to charge a really dead battery. The battery worked fine after that. You haven't yet come close enough to charging it long enough. Jump starting isn't charging the battery. It just starts the truck mostly off the other battery. Driving around doesn't necessarily do much to bring up a lost charge. Most of the alternator power is going to equipment on the truck.

Old 04-07-17, 04:05 AM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
have to say it sounds like a bad battery to me also.

Old 04-07-17, 06:11 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Our 2000 Ford Ranger (V6) was parked at a trailhead all day with the lights accidentally left on.
That drained it down to nothing.

Just an example I have had a six amp charger take more than twelve hours to charge a really dead battery.
Same here only I charged mine for 24 hours on automatic.

Charge it for a day, if that doesn't do it buy a new battery.

Old 04-07-17, 10:12 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Check cables and clean terminals. If that is done - bad battery no doubt.

Old 04-07-17, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
.... but it's hard to know for sure until the battery is given a full charge.

Old 04-07-17, 12:05 PM
T
I don't have a charger. Could buy one, but will probably wait for a sidewalk sale or look for one on Craigslist. Seems like a good investment. I bought an old one at an auction a few years ago, but I don't think I ever used it and we got rid of it before our last move.

Because the consensus is that the problem is likely battery-based, I took one out of another vehicle, tried it and the truck started with no problem. At least this time the battery will fix it, rather than the times I've quickly bought a battery and discovered the problem was something else. (Once you've traded-in the old battery for the core charge, you can't really return the unnecessary one you bought)

IOW: I'm buying a battery. Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-07-17, 12:41 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Just put the battery in, jump it, let it idle for a few hours and you'll probably be fine.

Old 04-28-17, 11:02 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Youre not charging the battery fully. You need a slow charge. Go buy a cheap 2amp trickle charger/maintainer. 10-15$. Put that on the battery for a good 24 hours and you may bring it back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: