is a Dodge Truck a good one to BUY??

Old 10-14-17, 06:51 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is a Dodge Truck a good one to BUY??

why do folks not like the Dodge Truck..
Im looking for a 4x4 with 100,000 miles . I found a Dodge Larriett nice looking under 20K.
You just dont see many around... Some say Dodge is not a good truck..

what do u think? reasons why its not a good truck

Old 10-14-17, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
DH had one and didn't care for it too much. Big and clunky, lots of problems. He traded it in for a used Silverado and loves that!
But some people probably love a Dodge truck tho. You'll likely get different answers.

Old 10-14-17, 07:23 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I wouldn't buy another Dodge unless the miles & the price were low. I had a 2000 Dodge Ram Van. They don't make transmissions like they once did.

Old 10-14-17, 08:15 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
For any brand, you will find those who love, those who hate, and everything in between. Including my current '17 Ram, I've owned 4 Dodges or Ram's, as well as a GMC and a Ford, work with and around a lot of other truck owners, and no doubt that I have had a few annoying nuisance ones, but certainly no more than others I have heard talk about their problems. The biggest gripe I had with my last two Rams was rust over the rear fender wells, but I've also seen a lot of it on Fords and GM's or Chevy's. When I decided that it was time for a new one I had thought that I might check out a Tundra, but started watching closer and it seemed that there were just as many of them with the same problem. Mechanically, there was a period, maybe 4 or 5 years either way of about year 2000 when it was not uncommon for a Dodge automatic transmission to need a complete overhaul or replacement at around 100K, but I haven't heard much about that in recent years, and I don't know that something of that significance at that mileage is unique to any particular brand. The '88 Ford I had was a nice truck, mechanically strong and sound, except that the engine was replaced under warranty at about 40K, and the paint started coming off in sheets at about 5-6 years. And I wasn't alone as the dealers were repainting a bunch of them at that time. Go figure. Performance, trailer pulling, hauling, etc., my Dodge's or Rams never came up short, and I think most of them have stayed pretty competitive in this regard.

Old 10-14-17, 10:46 AM
F
Looking at this one has 115K miles on it, was trying to stay at 100K
Used 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 For Sale | Mayfield KY

Old 10-14-17, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Professionally, I LOVE Chrysler products. I confess I've never owned one.

Pedro pretty much hit it on the head. I'm a Toyota guy myself, bought an '06 Tacoma earlier this year with just under 200k miles on it. One of the best trucks I've ever owned (I've had Fords and Toyotas and the wrecker is a Chevy W4 (Isuzu chassis & GM drivetrain). The Toyota will probably outlive me.

Old 10-14-17, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
I just ran a search on autotrader and the price range is about $15,995 - 27,900 with an average of $20,700. That's for 47 listings nationwide. That would make the one in the link an okay buy I would think if it otherwise checks out.

Old 10-14-17, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I had two Dodges, but it was during Chryslers bad years with Benz. Build quality was crap though I really liked the look and driving them. There's absolutely no reason why my last one (a '98 V-8 bought new) should have needed 2 passenger side cylinder heads, a heater core, an a/c evaporator, and new a/c compressor within 7 years... The first one (a V-6) ate timing chains for a living and is wasn't a warranty item, just noisy and annoying. But "they all did that" according to the dealer.

When I walked out of the dealer the last time, fuming, I let everyone in the waiting room know I would never buy another Chrysler product in my life...and I haven't even contemplated it since.

Other peoples results/opinions may vary.

Now I have a a (new to me) 20 y/o Mazda B2300 (same as Ford Ranger), with 125K and after tires and a bit of minor fixup, it runs like a top. Does everything I want and get's over 20 mpg in town near as I can figure so far.

Every region it seems has their favorites. Out here the 3/4 ton and above all seem to be Fords. Majority of 1/2 tons are Chevy. As I remember, where I lived in VA it was mostly Chevy all the way. And in CA, way more Toyotas and Nissans. (we don't even have a Toyota or Nissan dealer within 50 miles here) Very, very few Dodges of either capacity anywhere. Of course the majority of all of them are 4WD so they can haul their toys out in undeveloped Federal land for camping, hunting, meth cooking, etc.

Old 10-14-17, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I dont know now but transmissions always go on the dodges out here.. But I think they have the 6 or 8 speed now... Time will tell how they hold up..

Also out here the dodges beds rust badly.. I dont know what it is but the chevys and fords dont rust like that.

Ive only owned chevy trucks.. 69 pick up, 88 silverado, 96 s10, and a 2006 silverdo..

The current truck had 75k miles on it and I picked it up for 12,500 from a dealer... Someone traded it in and it sat in a garage all its life..

Plus you have to look at if its 4x4 or not.. I would not buy a truck unless it had it..

I think people buy dodge because they are about 20k cheaper then a ford or chevy IMO.. Also most buy for the cummins diesel.

Ford keeps changing their design with the diesel and the gasser cam phasers and aluminum blocks are problematic..

GM tried and true with the duramax.. 5.3l and 6.0 never any issues...

Try to stay clear of aluminum blocks IMO..

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-17, 04:37 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
'I love Chrysler but I never owned one' ? How does that work? Does that mean that you like to tow them? LOL. Great stand up routine!

Old 10-14-17, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Heres something in your area.. I would even look at it...lol

I would talk him down some.. But 24,000 and has step rails, cap. is 4x4.

Just saying is all.. 96k miles... That truck will not last IMO..

Check Out New and Used Vehicles at Country Chevrolet Buick GMC

Old 10-15-17, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
You got it, Donato. The cars I REALLY LOVED were the early 90's Taurus & Sable. Fit Vic's "they all did that"; early transmission failures and head gaskets on the 3.8L's. Ahh, the good old days.

Side question for OP, do you have to deal with road salt corrosion?

Old 10-18-17, 08:44 PM
F
I bought a Ford f150 got a good deal. Never owned a Ford has CHEVYS my whole life will be something new.

https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d...276016234.html

Old 10-19-17, 03:48 AM
Group Moderator
We've owned Ford trucks on two occasions back when we had horses, a 1992 F150 and a 1970 F250. Both gave us good service. I've probably towed more F150's than any other single vehicle, but I attribute that more to the quantity of them sold that are still on the road and that people tend to keep them long past when they should have been put out of their misery.

Old 10-19-17, 04:20 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I currently own my first Dodge vehicle. Its a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I bought this truck used in 2008 with 20,000 miles. Its been one of the better trucks I have ever owned & I will probably buy another when I buy again. If the next one serves me as well as this one has, I'll be a happy camper. Its 10 years old with almost 200,000 & it uses less than a half quart of oil between 5000 mile changes. Most times, there is no drop in oil level.
I have replaced the heater fan motor (,$100), the 4X4 actuator has gone out (about $200), the floor vent actuator has gone out ($800), fuel pump in the tank went out (< $500), a battery, etc, etc. But for a 10 year old truck, that aint too bad. I am sure I missed some things but there has been nothing more than normal repairs that you'd expect on a truck this age & mileage.

As some others have indicated, I had major issues with Fords & Chevys as I would have with any vehicle. The next Dodge I buy may be nothing but problems. Some vehicles are just prone to problems, especially when the company comes out with a new design. The first year is usually prone with issues until they can get them worked out over the next year or two. It doesnt matter what brand they are, they all have problematic vehicles come off the line from time to time. No one brand is better than the other. They are all good vehicles, but occasionally, you're gonna get a bad one now & then.

But, back to your original question, for me, Dodge has been one of the better vehicles I have owned & I plan to buy another.

Old 04-11-18, 12:49 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I got my '06 RAM 1500 V6 RWD via trade.
It was unloved by its PO.
It's been good to me.
Rust isn't an issue for me since, once or twice a year I go through it and spray down any rusted areas. Also if something scratches the bed I'll spray down immediately thereafter.

It is high off the ground, bulky, clunky, and heavy though. However there is room to work underneath without a lift and in the engine bay as well so DIYing is do-able.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: