1x? 3G?

Old 01-03-18, 03:01 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
1x? 3G?

This is a little embarrassing considering that I played around with electronics a lot, but that was 40-50 years ago and I can't seem to keep up with the technology today. Anyway, my new pickup is loaded with more than one man needs, including "9-1-1" and "Assist" buttons under the rearview mirror. So I read the manual and understand what the buttons are for, and who knows if I'll ever use them, but may as well know how. But the manual says they work only when connected to a "1X (voice/data) or 3G (data) network". So are they referring to my cell phone? My phone does connect to the truck,and I can make and receive calls with the buttons in the truck, and I know that the "Assist" and "9-1-1" buttons work because I have inadvertently pressed each of them while trying to figure out what is what (and now know to keep my mitts off of them!). But I don't see anything on my phone that says that it is either "1X" or "3G". The service provider on the phone is Sprint if that matters.

Old 01-03-18, 03:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
The truck has it's own "cell phone" built in. Those features will only work when you are within the coverage area of a cellular network.

Old 01-03-18, 04:15 PM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, as I don't even own a smartphone. However, I believe that all "voice" (911) calls would be 1X. The 3G refers to the generation (e.g. 3rd Generation). The current commonly used cellular data networks are 4G (4th Generation), which is approximately 3X-4X the speed of 3G (depends upon implementation).

Old 01-03-18, 04:28 PM
A
Thank you, and that seemed to be the only other possibility, so makes sense. So I guess the only other question then is if it came with a "trial" subscription or whatever and they'll want to bill me at some point. Didn't find anything along that line in the owner's manual, yet anyway, but doesn't matter anyway I suppose because I'm not going to pay a monthly or annual fee for it, just that the buttons will be useless. Sort of like it has Sirius radio too, but I don't use it because I know that it's only on loan and that I'm not going to pay for it when it times out. But I sort of recall hearing something about GM maybe having run into some sort of legal issues over wanting fees for their OnStar emergency connect services, so maybe they can't do that any more. Or maybe I'm not remembering right. I don't know. Anyway, I guess whether it eventually goes away or not is pretty much moot at this point, but now I know what's what today, and do appreciation you clarifying that. I stopped by to ask one of the guys at the dealership one day, but he got on a tangent about their Uconnect service, which I knew didn't have anything to do with this, so I pretty much ended up walking out on him mid-sentence.

Old 01-03-18, 04:35 PM
A
Thank you, Bob. I've of course heard of "3G" and whatnot, can't help but hear them talk about it in ads if you have a tv or radio on, but normally doesn't matter much so I don't pay enough attention guess. Although I don't know how many times I've said to my wife that it would be nice if someone would come up with ads that actually explained what they have to offer, as opposed to having talking ducks or whatever wandering around jabbering about nothing. It's like the writers think the rest of the world is dumb. Hmmm, or maybe the rest of the world is actually smart enough to get it and I'm the one who is dumb! Nevertheless, thank you. I appreciate the education.

Old 01-03-18, 04:45 PM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I thought you might be referring to a RAM truck. I have a Dodge Charger and FCA, I believe, is one of the few automakers still using 3G technology rather than 4G in their vehicles. I don't use UConnect, as it's quite expensive. However, I do subscribe to Sirius XM. I'm currently paying $5/month. Just before my subscription expires, I call to cancel Sirius. Of course, they try to get me to continue my subscription. I tell them that the only way I will continue my subscription is if they will extend the promotional rate ($25 for 5 months) that I was offered a year ago after my trial subscription expired. So far, I've renewed it 3 times at the low promo rate. If you're interested in Sirius, you may want to try this technique.

Old 01-03-18, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
When I read your first post.... I thought of On Star. Is that a GM vehicle ?
They usually give you a free trial period and then nail you.

With the 3G service there is no wifi available in the vehicle.
With 4G you get the wifi. Then you'll need to fill out loan papers to pay for the service.

Old 01-03-18, 05:32 PM
A
Sorry, wasn't trying to be cryptic, just assumed that it was pretty general in nature, but of course there are differences between brands, so it's a Ram 2500, 2017 specifically. And I think I remember a couple of guys talking about the 2018's having something new in this regard, so maybe it was 4G. This is one of the things that bothers me with these newer vehicles; you get accustomed to working everything and can't afford to buy a new vehicle every couple of years so who's to say that it will quit working well before you're ready to replace it. Sure, wiper blades, tires, brakes, belts, etc. are givens, and then there are more costly repairs and maintenance as you roll up the miles, but it is almost sickening to think that you pay all this money and some unknown person in a nondescript office can randomly obsolete the connectivity and/or other features at their whim. In my simple mind anyway, the odds of this happening increase as more "partners" are involved, such as communications companies in bed with automobile companies. Well, now I'm rambling, but do appreciate the feedback. That sounds like a heck of a deal on the Sirius, so will keep it in mind, but doubt that I would even pay that for it. You're right, PJ, no wifi, but don't know what I would do with it. Is that to connect a laptop? Not essential to me, but I could do that with an air card or whatever they're called, right?

Old 01-04-18, 07:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
My latest vehicles have come with trial subscriptions for their "service". When the trial period is over those features no longer work. Their cost for the service is so expensive that I have never chosen to subscribe.

The cellular data service is to establish your vehicle as a wifi hot spot. I suppose useful if you want a laptop or kids tablets to have Internet while in the car if those devices are only wifi. Personally, if I ever needed that feature I'd turn on the tether feature of my cell phone then your phone creates the wifi and is covered under a contract you already have which might have unlimited data.

As for all the technology stuff I have read that it is the number one complaint and the number one service issue with newer cars. The engine runs and the car can be driven but a lot of the warranty trips to the dealer are to fix software glitches in the infotainment system or to update software so newer cell phones can pair with the vehicle.

Old 01-04-18, 07:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My 2010 jeep came equipped with blue tooth and other phone stuff I've never used. Don't know if there was a free trial but I never got billed either. It also came with Sirius XM which I listened to until the free year was up. They have never billed me but send me stuff all the time trying to get me to pay for a subscription. Occasionally they'll give me a free 2 weeks to entice me to come back. If I drove more I might consider it but I don't spend enough time in my jeep to justify the subscription.

Old 01-05-18, 04:49 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Some options on new cars can only be purchased as factory installed, not dealer installed . If a new car on the dealers lot does not have that option, look at a different car. I asked the sales person what happens if the factory installed only option failed catastrophically, "do they have to take the car back to the factory to replace it"? Have yet to get an answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: