1989 Ford F-150 custom Repair help

Old 05-09-18, 11:07 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1989 Ford F-150 custom Repair help

Just bought an 89 F150, 4.9L straight 6, manual transmission. It needs a lot of work. The engine and transmission run solid. The brakes are completely toast, a lot of wiring is unhooked in the engine bay and surrounding areas etc. Needs new suspension/coils and struts. What is my best bet to learn how to do work on an old truck like this and get her road worth again? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-09-18, 11:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would look into getting a copy of the Chilton Repair Manual for your truck.

Old 05-09-18, 11:26 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Would you recommend a more expensive shop repair manual or no need?

Old 05-09-18, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You can find many repair manuals online for specific tasks, the Chiltons is a good basic starter. I'd also suggest you join a Ford truck specific Forum and just start searching and reading. Heck, it seems like there are multiple videos on Youtube for every job for every vehicle ever made.

I have a 97 Ford Ranger and I had my choice of videos for everything from timing belt replacement to stereo swaps. Very similar for my 2004 Suzuki Verona which was only sold for 3 years here. Since Ford trucks have been the most popular selling truck for many years, you should have no problems getting questions answered.

Old 05-09-18, 12:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The best way to learn is by doing. Get info about the task at hand and jump in. With the different forums if you run into trouble there will be someone that has been there and can advise you further.

Old 05-09-18, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Friends....... recruit friends. Supply refreshments. Don't hesitate to find like minded people for help. I learned automotive many years ago with help from some neighbors.

When I was in high school I was biking around the block and saw a guy just a little older than myself pulling his stock (race) car in the garage. That was the start of a friendship and I learned a lot from him. I learned how to throw tools properly and how to consume mass quantities of nacho Doritos. Ahhhh.... the good old days.

Old 06-06-18, 09:52 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
As for the Chilton repair manual, I bought one when I was about 16 years old for a Ford Maverick (actually a Mercury Comet) & as a teenager, I got a lot of tips & repairs done thanks to that book. Its not only how to... but a lot of trouble shooting, in that book. Now, I am speaking from a book that I had 40 some odd years ago.

While the book was an asset, I now use, & recommend, youtube as others have mentioned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: