2nd opinion sought

Old 02-18-19, 07:56 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
2nd opinion sought

Look at this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cb7PtrXm8bMWxYK5A

I noticed coolant level dropped in expansion canister, while adding it, looked inside and noticed white foam floating atop coolant.
Opened radiator cap and here we go.

I don't really want to steer into brand related issues, as it may get biased. My question is - what does it look like? Truck does not overheat, everything runs fine. Have not noticed any overflow. It is bone dry underneath it. That foam in canister slowly disappears as coolant cools down. I replaced rad cap yesterday just because, but have not driven it yet.

Old 02-18-19, 08:17 AM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Never seen that before

Have you or someone else added anything to the system lately, other than when you did?

It appears to be a reaction of some sort. Almost like dissimilar metals. I never use tap water in my cooling system ,always distilled. To be safe I would consider flushing the system with water and doing a refill with fresh coolant.

Old 02-18-19, 08:31 AM
System is filled with coolant. FRESH coolant, several months old.
Coolant level was stable for about half a year, then I noticed drop, about half a qrt. Pretty sudden, I must say, as I routinely check on it.
Again, no leaks, no overheating. No steaming.

Old 02-18-19, 09:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Was the system flushed when the coolant was changed? if cleaner was used was it completely flushed out?

Old 02-18-19, 10:09 AM
Head gaskets were done around 7 months ago. By a shop.
I am not worried much about foam itself. Canister was plugged with oil/coolant mix and it may still have some cleaner residue left in the system, causing foaming. I don't know if they used cleaner or not.
What I am worried about is bubbling in the radiator neck. Look at those large bubbles slowly popping up.
What I am afraid of, it's exhaust leak. Along with sudden coolant level drop.

Old 02-18-19, 10:22 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If the shop that changed the head gaskets also does emissions inspections, I believe I'd ask them to use the emission sniffer to check at the radiator neck to see if they are getting exhaust emissions from the coolant.

Old 02-18-19, 10:33 AM
Guess, I'll just get one of them combustion leak testers. That's easier. That shop is not convenienet for me to get to during regular hours.
I also found very good article on Autozone site.. Whichever way it turns, it's crack somewhere, let's not fool myself. Either leaking exhaust in or sucking air in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: