"Canister Purge Valve Solenoid" Easy to change?

Old 09-21-19, 01:28 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
"Canister Purge Valve Solenoid" Easy to change?

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, Check Engine light on. My son took to auto parts store, they plugged in tester, didn't say what the code # was, but printout said faulty Canister Purge Valve Solenoid" . Might explain why he was only getting 10MPG on hiway, they said. I was going to have him take to the dealer, but he already bought the new solenoid. The store guy said "it's real easy to replace".

Since my son doesn't know which end of a screwdriver you hold, I'll probably be the one to replace it. Anybody know how easy this really is? Is it just a matter of pulling the wire connector off and unscrewing the solenoid?

Old 09-21-19, 01:46 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I am almost certain that is the part I replaced on my wife's Saturn a couple of years ago, and there were no wires, just two hoses. The only problem I had was with one of the hose connectors. One of the connectors was no problem at all, but the couple of minutes that it took to change the solenoid was rather anti-climatic after spending, as I recall, an hour or more figuring out how to undo the other connector. In fact I think I gave up on it the first night, then spent another hour the second night. But that vehicle of course had front wheel drive, so even though the solenoid was right on top it was at the very back, tight to the firewall, and I couldn't get a mirror in there so finding the release was all by feel. Like I said though, otherwise a piece of cake. And I think, not sure, but think, that I had to reset the trouble code with the scanner because it would not clear itself, and I have a scanner, but assume they will do that for him if need be.

Old 09-21-19, 02:13 PM
R
Thanks Pedro, sounds like you replaced the valve itself, whereas it's indicating the solenoid on my P/U, so there's got to be wires involved. Maybe the new part is valve and solenoid together, which would mean hoses and electrical connections. I'll look at it when I get home tonite.

Old 09-22-19, 12:47 PM
R
Update: Code is P0446. The part is a solenoid and valve in one unit. I found it up on top of the engine. Got a hose connection and a wire harness. Very difficult to get to. Hose won't pull off easy, got some circlip thingy around it. Hose has some sort of a screw-on cap near where it connects to the valve, don't know why. At any rate, I'll tell him to call the Chevy dealer down the street to see what they'll charge to install it.

Old 09-22-19, 05:12 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Man, wish my memory was better because it sure sounds like what her car had, and the more I think about it maybe there were some wires, but it was that one doggone funky clamp that made it memorable. I remember though that we were doing some work at a Cadillac dealership at the time so I asked one of the mechanics about it and he sort of laughed and agreed that those were a bugger sometimes so to keep trying and I would get it. Hers was an '08 Aura, not an '03 Silverado, so who knows if it's even close, but the only thing I can tell you is that you might want to give it another shot because once I felt the right tang I was able to release it and the rest of it couldn't have been any easier. Whatever you do though, don't get too aggressive and break it off, thinking you'll just get a new one because some of those darn things only come with a complete line or whatever and could get expensive.

Old 09-23-19, 07:34 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
This video looks like what you need to do? I always find if you're 8 feet tall with 6 foot arms makes it easier.

https://youtu.be/Cvba1ZwuWwc

Old 09-23-19, 07:58 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Every car is different, my captive had a bad valve, $21 and it was under the beauty cover with a couple screws, an elec connection, and one hose.

30 min job!

I'll be the dealer comes back @ $150 to replace!

Old 09-24-19, 10:17 AM
R
Wow, thanks Baldwin, exactly my situation.....I may yet tackle it, tho I don't have a couple of the tools he used, guess it'll depend on what the dealer wants to charge. I'm sure they'll say "we don't install aftermarket parts you bought somewhere else, so we'll sell you a GM original", but I can't blame them. We run into the same thing in my line of work; folks buy a cheap lock from a discount store and want us to install it. We'll do it, but charge twice the labor and no warranty.

Thank you all!

Old 09-25-19, 08:08 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You're welcome. All you need for tools is a ratchet, short extension and a 10 mm DEEP socket. With a deep socket you don't need the wrenches, he could have done it in 1/3 the time.

I don't know about you but being vertically challenged it's a bear to reach anything on my 89 K1500.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: