Catalytic Converter theft protection

Old 02-15-23, 02:41 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Catalytic Converter theft protection

We have had a swarm of catalytic converter thefts in my area. I have a 2012 Dodge Ram that sits outside a lot that I would like to help protect. The local parts stores are all telling me that the thieves are getting around the cables and shields with rotary die grinders instead of reciprocating saws. Is there something better out there?

Old 02-15-23, 03:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you get bored try watching the "just rolled in" videos on YouTube. There are lots of clips of stolen converters and botched homemade theft protection devices.

A grinder and reciprocating saw are almost an impossible combination to guard against. To do so I think you need to get creative and layer materials. A soft metal like aluminum will clog a grinder and dramatically slow it's cutting. Then you also need something really hard (heat treated steel, tungsten, Inconel...) to resist saw cutting. That's a lot a expense for material and a lot of work to combine them into something that works.

I wonder if there are alarm system specifically for cat converters. Maybe a motion sensor under the vehicle. But, every cat or dog that goes under your truck will set it off.

Old 02-15-23, 03:28 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
I read today in Consumer Reports (probably last months issue) that there are catalytic converter alarms available for about $40. They did not list or rate any, but just mentioned them in an article about protecting stuff.

Old 02-15-23, 04:13 PM
W
Thanks for the replies.... I guess I will have to design something to slow the thieves down....

Old 02-16-23, 01:13 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
catalytic converter alarms available for about $40.
Garage!

Old 02-16-23, 09:49 AM
W
Well the Garage has two cars already in it, so the alarm looks like the most practical option right now. Anyone have one they like more than an another?

Old 02-16-23, 10:52 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
This is just one of those things I cant believe is happening. Its not the thefts but somebody is buying them, processing them, and then selling them up the supply chain, that is where it has to stop.

Get one processor and you've stopped a thousand thefts!

If they want it they are going to get it.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-23, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
one less catalytic convertor thief
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/catalyt...Jyvuk1-nDWt-TZ

Old 03-11-23, 05:34 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I doubt they're reselling the converters, but rather harvesting the metals.

Old 03-11-23, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Its not the thefts but somebody is buying them,
Really? Seems to me that if people didn't steal them this would not be an issue. It is the thieves, not the scrap yards. That is like saying it is the scrap yard's fault that people are stealing copper out of buildings because they will buy the copper. The only reason this is a bigger deal is that it is happening to the average person, not just businesses.

Old 04-22-23, 05:53 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some time has passed since the OP posted, but I have something to add. I have a vehicle that is parked in remote areas sometimes and I fretted about catalytic converter theft. There is lots of ground clearance, so there is no problem getting under there for any purpose. I researched and couldn't get happy with any solution, but I was most interested in making an alarm. What I ended up doing was meant to be a low-cost, easy attempt to stop my fretting while I figured out a better solution. I used a cheap engraver to etch my VIN onto the converter, and then sprayed super high temperature orange paint over that. Maybe $20, maybe an hour's work. Any deterrent will stop some crooks but no deterrent will stop all of them. This might be all I will do, since I very rarely think about it anymore.

Old 04-22-23, 08:14 AM
W
If the manufacturers can't come up with something better (except electric vehicles) they might as well put in a quick release for the converter so the thieves, (or you and I ) can remove the converters without tearing up the sensors, wiring, and the other pipes under there. If you design it, I will be your first customer!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: