2007 Honda Accord- Engine Leak and Alternator Problem- Request for Advice

Old 04-11-16, 03:53 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2007 Honda Accord- Engine Leak and Alternator Problem- Request for Advice

Hi. I have had to have a couple of car part retail store employees look at my accords engine. Both commented that they thought they saw a leak. I am attaching pics of the problem area. One thought it might be a power steering fluid leak.

Before I could get the leak taken care of, my car would not start last night. I got it jumped and drove it home. I thought it might be loose battery connectors so i tightened them up. I got the car to start a few times. This morning the car started 3 times with no problems. But this afternoon the car would not start again. I had battery tested and it needed to be recharged but the battery was otherwise ok. The car part retail store employee said the problem was with the alternator. I think fluid from this leak has damaged the alternator.

The car is a 2007 honda accord with about 110,000 miles and the alternator has not been replaced before.

Do you think the alternator can be replaced by a novice? How much do you think the cost would be for the new alternator and the labor for the installation? Is the alternator most likely dead?

What kind of leak do you think this is from? If this is a PS fluid leak, is that something a novice could repair? Do you think it's a hose leak? If this isn't a repair for a novice, about how much would a local garage charge for a repair? Thanks for your advice.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-16, 04:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
This morning the car started 3 times with no problems. But this afternoon the car would not start again. I had battery tested and it needed to be recharged but the battery was otherwise ok. The car part retail store employee said the problem was with the alternator.
That's behavior consistent with a battery not getting charged and 110K miles is certainly long enough the alternator could easily be bad. Never owned a Honda and haven't had to replace an alternator for a few years but I seem to recall about $300 for the part. I always installed myself if I could so I would certainly say this is a DIY job.

I have no ability to address the leak and its consequences other than to say you simply need to find the source and go from there.

Old 04-11-16, 04:13 PM
U
Thanks stickshift. I may have gotten lucky with the cost for the replacement alternator that is remanufactured. The lowest price I found was 110. I think the cost for an alternator varies based on the make and model of the car. I hope the leak is not an expensive repair!

Old 04-11-16, 04:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That's about what you are going to pay for an alternator. Dry the oil with a rag. Then wait for it to reappear. Look for the highest wet point. Take air flow into consideration.

Old 04-12-16, 07:33 AM
U
Hi all. Last night I learned that Honda Accord v6 for my year were subject to a recall for a faulty power steering hose that could cause the engine to catch on fire.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...2v222-5876.pdf

The local dealership did replace the hose in 2013. I think they either did not install it correctly, or the replacement hose is still defective, because the hose is still leaking. And this leak is what caused the problem with the alternator. I am having another garage replace the alternator. Do you think I can get to delaership to take responsibility for the power steering hose and the alternator?

Old 04-12-16, 07:56 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do you think I can get to delaership to take responsibility for the power steering hose and the alternator?
Not if you let someone else work on the vehicle.

Old 04-12-16, 08:09 AM
U
Hi. I hear what you are saying. But the car was literally dead, so to get it to the dealership it would have to be towed. I am going to have the garage give me the broken alternator so the dealership can see how the alternator was damaged. And I am going to have the dealership replace the hose. The dealership overcharges for everything, that is why I am having a different garage replace the alternator. I dont want to tow the vehicle to the dealership, have them deny responsibility for the hose or the alternator, and then in frustration, pay the excessive fees to replace both the hose and the alternator. Rock and a hard place....

Old 04-12-16, 08:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I haven't worked for a dealer since the 70s so I can't say for sure. However, I don't think you have much of a chance.

Old 04-12-16, 08:40 AM
U
Thanks for the encouragement, just what I needed lol.

Old 04-12-16, 08:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Sometimes the best you can hope for in that type of situation is to give them an ear full which won't help your pocket book any but might make you feel better

Old 04-12-16, 09:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
An alternator with 110 K miles on it likely failed on its own, no dealer is going to take responsibility for it.