2012 Dodge Ram Head Restraints

Old 05-05-16, 05:30 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
2012 Dodge Ram Head Restraints

I just received a seat cover for my Dodge Ram Driver seat. The instructions want me to remove the head restraints to install it. The owners manual has no instructions for removing the restraints. Is there a secret to this process?

Old 05-05-16, 07:49 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
You might try googling: Removing 2012 Dodge Ram Headrest.
[h=2][/h]

Old 05-06-16, 03:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I don't know about your particular vehicle, most have a button on the headrest hardware that you push as you pull it up. My jeep has a plastic collar at the top of the seat with the button located there.

Old 05-06-16, 04:18 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Am pretty sure that the ones in my '08 just pull straight out. Let me guess; you're changing the seat cover because it wore a hole on the driver's side, where you slide in and out? Did you replace the foam? The second time I had to do mine, I cable tied an old belt over the metal frame where the foam sets, and so fat it seems to be wearing better.

Old 05-06-16, 07:04 AM
W
Head Restraints

You guessed it. Built Ram Tough did not include the original seat cover. I cought it in time to super glue the small tear in the seam, and I plan to re inforce it with something under the new seat cover. Thanks for the replies!

Old 05-06-16, 10:24 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
In case you are not aware of it, and assuming that the problem was not corrected by 2012, it may go deeper than just the cover. While you have it off, remove the foam, and look at the bottom of it. You will probably see it starting to split where it goes over the side of the seat frame, and it might not look too bad right now, but trust me... The first time around, I replaced just the seat cover, then, when it started showing the same wear spot again, about 6 months later, I found a bunch of references to this problem on the 'net, so pulled the cover again, and ended up replacing the foam. So far I am on I think the third foam pad, but caught it in time that I'm still on just the second cover.

Old 05-07-16, 06:55 AM
W
Thanks for the heads up on the foam splitting. I will check it out. Markstr was right about the release for the head restraints. There is a detent you push toward the center of the truck on each of the two tubes that support the restraint. You push in on them while lifting the restraint straight up. why they couldn't put that in the owners manual I do not know! I was in a hurry so I did the reverse to put the tubes back in the holes, but I might not have had to (push in on the detent)

Old 05-07-16, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
why they couldn't put that in the owners manual I do not know!
I can answer that one. It's because people could remove and leave the headrest out of the vehicle putting the car manufacture at risk from head/neck injuries.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: