Just replaced rear brakes, now one is sticking?

Old 10-16-17, 02:03 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just replaced rear brakes, now one is sticking?

I just replaced the pads & one rotor on the back of my 2000 Silverado. Job seemed to go pretty smooth but the caliper on the passenger side was hard to push in with C clamp. At least harder than they usually seem. Anyway, job done and now the one o passenger side is sticking. So like having brake pedal pushed all the time.

I pulled the wheel and caliper back off and it rotates fine with caliper off. I didn't do emergency pads by they. I am thinking that maybe the caliper piston has a burr in it and that is what is not letting it release.

What do you guys think? New caliper or something else wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-17, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
It's very possible with a truck of that age to have a sticking caliper. It gets hung up on the ring that the rust forms from water that has gotten inside the caliper boot.

Old 10-16-17, 02:19 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look for a pinched brake line & make sure that the caliper is sliding side to side properly.

Old 10-16-17, 02:45 PM
K
Will check the line again but didn't see one earlier. I could have missed it though. I can add one thing though. After the truck sat for most of the day till I could get to it to see what was wrong, here is something I noticed. I jacked it up, pulled the wheel off to start inspection, grabbed the lug bolts to see if it was locked up and it wasn't completely. At least not full on. I could move the rotor a little. But the truck was in park also. I put the key in and put the truck in N to see if it would turn all the way around in N. I had to put my foot on the brake though to put the ruck in N. When I went around to check it after putting it in N the rotor was locked down like brake full on.