88 Chev 1500 pickup coil springs

Old 02-04-18, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
88 Chev 1500 pickup coil springs

I am rebuilding the front suspension on my 1988 Chev 1500 pickup. Getting the coil springs installed has been quite a challenge. I have them installed but the bottom end spring end is about 2 inches away from the end of the stop on the control arm. Needs to be rotated to get it there. Is there a chance that it will find its way by driving it? If not what is the best way to do it? Should I compress it while I have the lower control raised and try to rotate it? Thanks for any help. Think you will know what I am saying if you have ever done one.

Last edited by michaelshortt; 02-04-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-04-18, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Not going to happen. I used to install springs in about 20 minutes a side but I had a rack and proper tools. easier to disconnect control arm at bushings and drop. Leave ball joint connected. Will need a good jack.

Old 02-04-18, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmmmmmm, hadn't thought about that. I do need a better jack so I will think about. They are in there but not rotated like it should be. Maybe I will call a shop and have it done. Thanks for the info pugs.

Old 02-05-18, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So I looked at taking the option of unbolting, lowering the lower arm and jacking them up. They were tough to install so I didn't fell comfortable with that. I Lowered the right side all the way down, rotated it and got it installed properly. It took me a few hours and a big hammer. I will try the other side in the morn. Watched a bunch of videos and looked at other forums before trying it. This is no job for a guy that is turning 70 this month, but you no how us do it yourselfers are.

Old 02-06-18, 02:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Which ever way works for you. I did as mechanic so had a rack. Don't think I would try one on the ground. Good job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: