2000 Chevy Suburban Auto-4WD

Old 11-26-18, 12:31 PM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
2000 Chevy Suburban Auto-4WD

My 2000 Chevy Suburban K1500 has the push button switching for 2wd, auto-4, 4 hi and 4 low. I recently has to disable the ABS system because of a faulty ABS computer (vehicle is not worth investing in that repair) and because I broke the front left wheel speed sensor. I have no problem driving with the ABS light on and no ABS brakes.

My question is about the Auto-4 setting. Typically, I leave it in Auto-4 when there is snow on the ground (I live on the western edge of the Lake Erie snow belt). I want to think that the automatic portion of the 4wd must be triggered by something like a speed difference between the front and back wheels of the car. Now that I have no front left wheel speed sensor, have I killed the ability to automatically engage the 4wd or is it triggered from something else?

- Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 07:03 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Just sold a 2002 Suburban to a good friend with all faults relieved and on the table prior to sale. I too had an ABS/Brake light that was an issue. I had gone to a junk yard and pulled an ABS module from a dead vehicle. He replaced it and it solved the ABS problem. Apparently, the solder welds on the circuit board on the ABS are subject to coming undone.

Wheel sensor is just getting another wheel hub assembly which is a fairly straight forward swap. So, determine if it is the wheel sensor or the ABS control board. Around here, they will not pass inspection without a clean dash without ABS warning light.

Old 11-27-18, 10:26 AM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
As for the wheel sensor replacement, I actually have the replacement hub but the bolts are rusted to the point that they need to be cut off (it is the "rust belt" after all). Can't do it myself and not looking to pay someone. I tried to pull the sensor itself but it broke off in the hub. The ABS module is also rusty and the brake lines are likely to break if I try to remove them. Getting a used one from the local yard is not practical since everything in this area is rusted so why go through the effort.

I am just trying to find out if the Auto-4 will trigger without the front left wheel speed sensor functional.

- Peter

Old 11-27-18, 10:55 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You can cut the hub assembly bolts off, they are only threaded on the part that goes into the hub itself, the rest of the bolt shaft is smooth. I used a large cut off disk on a grinder, not safe, but was careful and got the job done. My bolts, while not rusted, were rounded off on the head. Subsequent hubs, bought a set of metric sockets that grab the bolt head on the flat instead of the corners. Worked to get those off. If you go this way, prepare for sticker shock when you get new bolts - Chevy dealership charged me over $8 per bolt.