Exhaust pipes blocking transmission removal

Old 05-04-19, 02:33 PM
W
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exhaust pipes blocking transmission removal

I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm replacing the clutch in my 91 GMC Sierra. Drive shaft removed, now going to remove some of the exhaust that's in the way. Problem is, this stuff is old as dirt. There's NO WAY some if the bolts are going to come out. They're literally crumbling. Even if I could remove the bolts, the pipes are probably rusted together. I can cut the pipes out of the way. I would need to make 3 cuts. 1 cut will work okay, I believe. The other 2 cuts would have to be made in places impossible, or very difficult to repair (transitioning between curves or little space to use a coupler). Ideally, I'd like to make cuts in the curves. I would only need to make 2 cuts. Is there any way to reattach if I cut at the curves? Can the pipes be cleaned and welded directly to where it was cut (without a coupler)? I have a couple of pictures I can post, but basically what I've described covers everything.

Old 05-04-19, 05:21 PM
A
Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
can usually be welded back assuming you have room to get a mig welder handle around the pipe, would probably try unbolting it first though if the section does bolt on.

Old 05-04-19, 07:55 PM
W
Thanks for the reply. After removing more of the shifter assembly, I think we can move the transmission back enough to clear the exhaust pipes (instead of dropping straight down where the exhaust would be in the way). Going to try tomorrow.

Old 05-05-19, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I often work with rusted fasteners on things, especially wih trailer springs and have good luck heating the nuts to remove them.
You need to get them glowing dull red and if you wire brush the threads before heating they come off almost like new ones.
A propane soldering torch is not enough heat but if you have a swirl type Mapp gas torch it could be enough heat.

Old 05-05-19, 06:54 PM
W
Thanks again for the posts. I was able to manipulate the transmission over the exhaust pipes. It wasn't easy, but we got it out. Putting it back in will be fun, LOL.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: