Rear drum brakes, 2004 Tundra

Old 04-03-21, 12:57 PM
M
Received 22 Upvotes on 17 Posts
Rear drum brakes, 2004 Tundra

I'm replacing the wheels cylinders and shoes on my 2004 Tundra and it just occurred to me that my vehicle does not match any images I find online nor does it match the parts fiche provided by dealers. The difference is the star wheel adjuster bracket. Mine is mounted on the backside of the opposite shoe as the parking brake lever, whereas the images I find online show the bracket mounted to the front of the parking brake lever, which makes more sense to me. The parking brake has never worked very well if at all on this truck and I'm wondering if this could be why. The manual says to exercise the lever to make sure the star wheel advances, which it does not. Mechanically, I don't see how it could advance with the way it is. Maybe the drum has to be in place for it to do so? Does anyone have a Tundra that can shed some light on this?

My truck (passenger side):

Online image (drivers side):

Old 04-03-21, 01:09 PM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
If that was my truck I'd just button it back up, I dont see any fluid leaks and there is a ton of lining on the shoes, if it isn't broke don't fix!

Old 04-03-21, 02:05 PM
M
The wheel cylinder on the other side was leaking so I replaced it and did the shoes while I was at it. I didn't want to do one side and not the other. I looked closer and I really don't see how the lever that advances the star wheel can move at all. The adjuster is jammed up against the shoe. Think I'll give the dealer a call and try to clear this up.

Old 04-03-21, 02:38 PM
M
The dealer said according to my VIN, I have the proper part, but he agreed it doesn't jive with the diagram. The diagram he has also shows the bracket attached in front of the lever. Mine is on the opposite shoe on the back side. Once I attach the spring that holds the shoes together, the adjuster is jammed up against both sides and I see no way for the lever to move. Here's the diagram (bracket is part 47643/47644) and two more photos of my old shoes with bracket installed.

Old 04-03-21, 04:55 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 65 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The dealer diagram looks to be very different than your pictures of your brake setup. I would investigate further, maybe some You Tube videos can help you determine why there is such a difference.

Old 04-03-21, 04:59 PM
M
Found a couple videos online that show the same configuration as mine. Still confused as to why the diagram is different and my parking brake still doesn't work. I'll have to check the cable and see if something is seized.

Old 04-03-21, 05:09 PM
J
Received 33 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Interesting observation mossman. One thing to check would be location of star wheel access hole on the backing plate. It will be an oval cutout in the backing plate with a rubber plug in it. If that hole is lined up with the star wheel then the brake assembly is oriented correctly.

Old 04-04-21, 09:33 AM
B
Received 226 Upvotes on 200 Posts
The rear break's adjuster mechanism also operates the emergency breaking where the front break adjuster just adjust. The adjuster location on any wheel must be on the side that results in the star wheel rotating to expand the mechanism when the brake shoes expand.

Old 04-04-21, 12:42 PM
M
The star wheel lines up with the access hose in the backplate so I'll assume it's correct.

My issue now is the brake pedal travels too far (almost to the floor it feels) and the parking brake doesn't hold. I adjusted the shoes until I hear a dragging sound and took all the slack out of the parking cable. The dragging sound is not consistent though the full rotation of the wheel, so it appears my drums are warped. This could be why I am unable to adjust the shoes properly and in turn the parking brake. I ordered some new drums. Hopefully that will fix it.

Old 04-04-21, 04:13 PM
B
Received 226 Upvotes on 200 Posts
While out of round brake drums is unusual, new drums are a solution if that is the problem. Let us know how the new drum work.

Old 04-05-21, 07:33 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Did you bleed the brakes after you replaced the cylinder?

Old 04-07-21, 05:24 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 65 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Couple of things, the diagram in post #4 could be an earlier or later or mid year change and I wouldn't give it any more thought since it doesn't apply in your case. But on the video you posted it looks as though the bar between both brake shoes has too much slack between the shoes thus causing the incorrect movement. (Do you have the adjustment bar the correct direction? I can't tell from here.) You might try turning the star wheel enough to take up most the slack between the shoes to see if helps the issue in the video but not so much that it prevents the drum from going on. You can finish the brake adjustment after you install the drum. And the only time the adjuster actually works is when you back the vehicle up and apply the brakes, your set up looks to be correct. Can't help on the parking brake since I'm not there to go over the entire system.

Old 04-08-21, 11:15 AM
M
Everything appears to be correct. I was able to locate the proper diagram form the Toyota website, which shows the proper lever. I put the new drums on and adjusted the shoes to have more drag and the brake holds now. The manual says pulling on the intermediate cable should advance the star wheel and if not to check the brake installation. That's what has me hung up. It just won't advance. I'm going to leave it be for now.

Old 07-31-22, 07:36 PM
M
Still getting a pulsating from the rear (applied parking brake only while driving to isolate the rear). Frustrating.

Old 08-02-22, 06:41 AM
M
Turns out I didn't get OEM, they're Brembo. Regardless, it's unacceptable. I think I'll get a local machine shop to turn them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: