Service 4WD Warning

Old 01-16-23, 06:01 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Service 4WD Warning

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 with about 135k miles on it. I'm shopping around for a new truck, as this one has been something of a nightmare & I'm concerned what the next issue will be. About 2 weeks ago I got the Service 4WD alert, and I started feeling a minor drag when I accelerated. Luckily I was almost home, and the next time I started up the engine I didn't get that warning & it drove fine so I moved on. I've been driving around for years with the 4WD setting on Auto, so when this happened I switched it to 2WD and thought that would hold me (why should a problem with 4WD be an issue if I'm driving in 2WD?).

A few days ago, pulling out of a parking lot it happened again. I pulled into a spot, turned off the truck and waited (not sure for what) and when I started back up it was fine. I started to think maybe the drag was in my imagination and maybe it's a false warning (I've had a couple other weird warnings that weren't anything). Since then I drove to work a couple times, and even took an hour trip & it hasn't happened again but tonight it happened a third time. I was driving around all day doing errands & had no problem, and then suddenly one time I started up the truck and got the warning again. And now I definitely feel a drag when I start to accelerate - I don't feel it when I'm in motion. I drove home - 15 minutes - and it happened sometimes when I started up from a stop but not always, and I got home fine.

So my question is can I keep driving the truck or am I tempting fate and risking causing damage if I do?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 01-16-23, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
4 wheel with auto mode are more problematic. Could be the encoder motor or a slew of other things..

When did you last change transfer case fluid?

This units have an actuator that pulls a fork to lock the front wheels..

Best to take it to a mechanic IMO.

I went ram. I was long time chevy owner... No more chevys for me.

Old 01-16-23, 06:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mike. Funny you say that, I'm pretty set on getting a Ram. This Silverado has had more problems than I care to mention.

So I agree I need to take it to a mechanic (or sell it as is) but in the meantime is it damaging or unsafe to drive it?

I know that's not an easy question without seeing it.

Old 01-16-23, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
With the AWD auto modes I believe those type transfer cases react with the computer and apply brakes when needed at a certain wheel to help control the vehicle. This may be your lag.. I would say yes causing unforseen damage, and probably unsafe.

All my opinion though

My last silverado was a 2006. less advanced 4 wheel drive as I always bought trucks with the shift lever for 4x4 was on the floor. never wanted to have that seperate motor to activate the transfer switch.

My chevy history all 4x4. I drove trucks all my life and never really owned a car except for the spouses vehicle

69 c 10
74 c 10
88 silverado
96 s10
2006 silverado

now a 2020 ram. Ill never go back

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: