Oil stop leak products

Old 04-21-23, 07:21 PM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Oil stop leak products

I have a minor oil leak from my 2.7L Toyota engine. I've read one common area where a leak can occur is from the oil filter housing. I'd assume the correct/best repair would be very costly. I wonder if the oil stop leak products have proven effective with anyone's experience? I know there's many variables, and the manufacturer will sometimes state their product won't likely work anything more than a minor leak. Maybe mine is more than minor. I'll add maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of a quart every month, or around 800 miles. At 154k miles, some of that could be due to usage, not leaking.

Old 04-22-23, 02:25 AM
T
Received 111 Upvotes on 99 Posts
I doubt if oil leak products would help. The housing often includes plastic components that can crack under heat and pressure so a replacement may be required. But the fix doesn't always require replacing the housing. My suggestion is to clean the area thoroughly and run the engine to see if you can identify the location. It may be, for example that the oil filter gasket is damaged or even missing.

Old 04-22-23, 03:55 AM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Since the leaking oil is following the path of gravity in the photo, hard to tell location of source. Personally, I would start by changing the oil filter. Make sure the engine surface in contact with the oil filter seal is smooth and clean before installing the oil filter. If that doesn't fix the leak, I would go to a reputable shop and have them find the source of the leak and estimate cost of repair. Then do a cost/benefit comparison to the cost of 6 quarts of oil per year and make a decision.

Old 04-22-23, 06:13 AM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Ok - Since the photo was taken I did clean the area for more diagnosis. When I had other work done on the truck in February I had the shop do an oil change while it was there. I initially thought maybe the oil filter seal could be the source of the leak, it feels tight but that may not be significant. I trust the shop put it on tight. I really don't know when the leak started, so I know the oil filter can't be completely ruled out. When I'm due for an oil change I'll bring it to the shop and also ask for a diagnosis of the leak.

After this leak I'm realizing how common leaks are. The parking lots at work all have some oil spots.

Old 04-22-23, 06:29 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 119 Upvotes on 103 Posts
fairly common for engines to use or leak a small amount of oil, I would not worry about it myself at 1/2 qt a month its just not severe enough, and I doubt that stop leak would work, there is also high mileage oil that has seal conditioners you could try at your next oil change but there still probably not going to fix the leak.

Old 04-22-23, 09:04 AM
T
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Number of (youtube) hits when asking about replacing the seal between the OFH and the block. Doesn't look that hard to DIY.

New gasket is probably cheaper than a quart of those stop leaks products.

Last edited by XSleeper; 04-22-23 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Removed youtube links

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: