Home Made Trailer

Old 09-22-23, 04:29 PM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Home Made Trailer

I have a steel framed trailer I converted from an old boat trailer to just a 10 foot flat bed utility. It sits outdoors most of the time. The rear tail lights ground contacts stay in contact pretty much year after year, but the side marker light not so much. I am cleaning up one right now but wondered what I could treat the metal with to prevent rust, and still allow for a good ground to remain.

Old 09-23-23, 01:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
A simple way is to remove the light and grind or sand the area clean where the light makes its ground contact. Then apply some dielectric grease and reinstall the light.

I have way too many trailers and have gotten tired of this problem. I rewire the trailers to not use the frame as the only ground. I let the light use its ground with the grease trick. I take the lights apart and solder on a ground wire and run a ground wire to all the lights on the trailer and to the vehicle connector. This way there are two paths for the ground but I consider the wired to be the primary.

Also, I solder all wire connections or I use the sealing, waterproof type crimp or solder connectors. I never use the saddle connectors that you clip over the middle of a wire and squeeze as they frequently fail. All this is more work but once it's done it's done.

Old 09-23-23, 08:10 AM
W
After I wrote this post, I thought about running the separate ground wire myself. I can clean the outside of the trailer where the light mounts, but the ground on my running lights actually grounds thru frame with a small bolt that fastens on the inside of the C shaped frame rail, which is absolute pain to get into with a grinder or wire brush. I am going to run the separate ground wire asap. Thanks for the suggestions and agreement with my thought process!

Old 09-23-23, 05:11 PM
W
the right side marker now has its own ground wire. Drove me a little nuts until I discovered someone had attached the marker light wire into the green wire instead of the brown wire. Marker was coming on with a 12 volt source but not with the truck switch. The OTHER side was coming on with the truck switch , which made it even more confusing!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: