Gas line to swimming pool heater

Old 02-06-16, 02:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas line to swimming pool heater

I went to sand/paint the gas line to my pool heater as it was rusting. As I removed the dirt around the base it looks like the underground part of the pipe is plastic (maybe plastic coated metal?) and there is some kind of thick matt covering surrounding it that crumbles away at the slightest touch.

When I googled it (which led me here) I read of someone who also said his underground pipe looked like pvc. My whole subdivision was built in 1985 (Las Vegas during the boom years) and the pool was installed around 1990. I bought the house 3 years ago.

This 'plastic' pipe feeds into a 1 foot long tapered metal pipe, wide at the bottom and narrow at the top, and is the only part that was rusting. I assume it's thick at the bottom to allow for rusting/pitting, which I found after sanding it. There's no real pipe fitting where the plastic meets the metal. It just disappears into the thick end of the metal pipe.

So do I just paint it and let it be? I never use the pool heater but I want the pipe in case I ever get an outdoor BBQ. From what I've seen I'd have to sell my first born male child if they had to rip it all out to replace the underground pipe.

Old 02-06-16, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
It could be one of several different types of gas line.
Is it possible to shoot and post a picture or two for us ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: