Water booster pump humming not running

Old 02-06-16, 10:33 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water booster pump humming not running

Hi everyone i just bought a new water booster pump. I tried placing it myself and i know this may sound dumb but First time i placed the check valve on the outlet and in the opposite direction. Tried to run the pump and the pressure gauge went up but water didn't run. I did some troubleshooting and corrected the placement of the check valve... But ever since when i try to run the pump, the motor just hums and overheats very quickly. The fan behind the motor only runs when i turn it with a screw driver. It runs very slowly and eventually stops. I hope I didn't kill the motor completely coz it did cost an arm and a leg. Ur help will be greatly appreciated

My pump is a brisan turbo booster with a pressure tank attached to it. It has no electric controls such as the reset button. ThanKs

Old 02-07-16, 12:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like you damaged the pump. Take it back under warranty but don't mention the check valve.

Old 02-07-16, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,512 Votes on 1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Africa.

At first look you'd think the pump had been damaged by what you did but I don't believe that.
You have a self contained booster pump and tank. It's job is to build up pressure in it's tank. The check valve allows the water to flow out but not back.

When you put the check valve on backwards you blocked the output of the system which would be the same thing as charging the house system and then it stopping the water flow.

It sounds like the pump is defective and I'm fairly certain it was not caused by you.

Have you checked for the proper voltage WITH the pump running ?

Old 02-08-16, 11:19 AM
S
The voltage requirements are as follows. 230v for the pump... However when I use the voltmeter to check the output from my house it goes up to 260v. Could this be the problem? But I checked the previous pump which I had been using for over 5 years also has the same voltage requirements. Although recently it also started humming and overheating, however it sometimes goes on for a short period, however the new one doesn't go on at all. I will try and take it back to the store tomorrow after work before I get tempted to open it... Lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: