Shower leaking through bottom of glass door

Old 04-12-16, 09:31 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower leaking through bottom of glass door

Hello! I hope this is the correct section of the forum to post this in. We just moved into a new house and there is a stand-up shower with a glass door that leaks from the bottom of it REALLY bad. There is what looks like a white vinyl strip where the door closes that doesn't really seem to help. Here is a pic that shows what I'm talking about. Any advice on how to prevent this from leaking?

Thanks!Name:  20160412_094437.jpg
Views: 4179
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 04-12-16, 12:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
As it is I don't see any way around the leaking. Water runs down the glass and gets caught behind the marble threshold. Even if the seal holds the water for a while it will leak out when the door is opened. You can install a diverter or splash lip to the bottom of the door to help prevent water from getting behind the threshold. Hopefully the threshold is sloped away from the door. If it's not you are really fighting an uphill battle.

Old 04-12-16, 12:46 PM
T
So you're thinking that the shower door was just installed incorrectly? Thanks!

Old 04-12-16, 01:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
We're looking at this from outside the shower?

Old 04-12-16, 02:47 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The shower door needs to be sitting ON TOP of the marble threshold. Oddly, the threshold is setting on top of another threshold, so don't be surprised if something is awry underneath that piece of marble. This looks like a quick fix prior to the sale of the house and should have been caught by the inspector.

Old 04-12-16, 04:00 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
That threshold should be pitched toward the shower pan. Have you checked it with a level?

On edit - I looked at the picture again and the threshold setup is weird. As others said - The door and seal should ride atop the threshold. I would try to remove the marble and start from there.

Old 04-13-16, 07:35 AM
T
Thanks, all! To remove that marble slab, should I use a flathead and a hammer and try and separate it from the threshold by wedging the flathead inbetween the two slabs?

Old 04-13-16, 07:49 AM
T
Yes, the image is from outside the shower...thanks!

Old 04-13-16, 09:11 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with all the previous comments about how the door should line up with respect to the threshold, and the pitching of the threshold.

Additionally, if I'm reading your picture correctly, it looks like there is an aluminum or chrome strip/trough projecting outward from the bottom of the door. If that is the case, either the door or that strip is installed incorrectly. On our shower door there is a similar trough, attached to the bottom of the door, that is inside the shower when the door is closed. Water runs down the glass of the door into this trough, and the water runs into the shower.

Old 04-13-16, 10:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
I'm curious why the marble threshold was installed in the first place. Was it concealing damage or a problem. So, removing the marble may only be the beginning of your headaches. Can you post some other pictures of the door frame area?

Old 04-13-16, 11:06 AM
T
There is a clear rubber strip on the bottom of the shower door projecting outwards. I agree, there is no reason for that to project outwards. However, with that other slab of marble on top of the first slab, I don't think reversing it will help much. I can try to remove that top slap but I'm afraid that it is cracked or damaged or something underneath. I guess I should try and see what I find. Thanks for all the input, folks! If anyone has any more advice, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to take flathead and a hammer and try to separate that top slab. Thanks!

Old 04-13-16, 01:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
I would first try a splash guard on the door and see if that helps enough. There are some that extend quite far to help keep the water way away from the door's bottom. This one i

Old 04-13-16, 03:12 PM
Use a hammer and a 3" stiff putty knife to try to dislodge the top marble threshold. A flat head screw driver will cause a lot of damage but not a lot of progress.

As others have said, can we get some more general pictures and not necessarily just a close up.

Old 04-14-16, 08:05 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is it possible that the door originally had the "rubber strip" on the inside of the shower, but that the door was reversed in order to accommodate the "new" marble threshold?

Old 04-14-16, 09:17 AM
T
Thanks all! I ordered one of the drip guards with adhesive tape. I have a feeling it won't quite work but due to the way the shower is mounted but I'm going to give it a try. I'll post the results here after I install it. Thanks again for all of the input.

Old 04-14-16, 06:41 PM
Just my opinion, but a drip guard it will do nothing to correct your problem. You have a incorrectly installed or modified door that will not be water tight no matter what you try to do. It's configuration and back gasket will leak regardless of what you try to do above it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: