New sillcock in crawl space

Old 04-30-16, 07:05 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New sillcock in crawl space

I'm relocating my sillcock so it's easier to access. I will be rerouting the pipes in my crawl space, running pex off the current copper pipe about 10-12' to another wall then through the cinder block.
The copper pipe is not insulated but we haven't had any problems with freezing ever. We are in Virginia so some cold but not brutal. Is it ok to run the pex with no insulation? If I need to insulate I could either use get some foam wrapper to put around them or drill through the joists and tuck the pex into the batting there. Is one way better than the other?
One more question: I see mention of putting a sleeve around the sillcock as it passes through the cinder block, using slightly larger pipe. I think to prevent corrosion(?). Is this necessary? Or just seal around with some silicon?

Thanks!!

Old 04-30-16, 10:32 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Insulating the pipes for a sillcock in unheated space won't help prevent freezing because the water is not flowing for long periods of time and has time to reach ambient temperature despite the pipe insulation.

Running the pipes up by the floor, above the insulation is better, assuming you heat the space above when it is really cold. That heat will keep the pipe from freezing.

But you can't drill joists willy-nilly. Holes have to be at least 2 inches from top or bottom of joist, and you should not drill holes in the middle third of the span of the joist. But even if you have the run the pipe in the middle of the insulation (half above, half below) that will be good enough to keep it from freezing in your mild area.

Good luck with your project!

Old 05-02-16, 12:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to drill in those areas.
Any advice about putting a sleeve around the frost free sillcock through the cinder blocks?

Old 05-02-16, 03:22 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Usually I just drill the hole a bit oversize and fill around it with can foam from the back side after everything is installed. If the sillcock doesn't come with a rubber washer to seal between its base and the siding or outside of the block a good bead of caulk on the back of the mounting surface before installing the mounting screws is a good idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: