Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

What type of metal is this toilet drainpipe connecting to the cast iron stack?

Old 04-30-16, 06:10 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

In the process of working on a new toilet location and came across this. I was expecting cast iron, which I would have cut with a chain crush/cutter. But this might be worth just cutting and pulling out, yes?

Name:  IMG_2577.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  50.0 KB

I'm sorry that the picture is rotated 90 degrees. On my computer and phone it's in the correct orientation. Something must have been lost when uploading it to this site.

Attached Images  
Old 04-30-16, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Looks like a lead flange. The lead has been set into the cast iron.

Old 04-30-16, 06:34 PM
B
Thank you, but what does "set" mean?

And because I want to cut it, or take it out so I can eventually get it connected to a new black plastic pipe, what would I do?

Old 04-30-16, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Lead was usually set into cast iron by shoving an oakum braid around the perimeter then molten lead was poured into the joint. In your case, this was obviously done in the upright position before the cast iron was assembled. If you want to remove it, you will likely be replacing the cast iron hub as well.

Old 04-30-16, 08:08 PM
B
So, would I be able to use a torch and melt that seal?

In reading about these seals, here is one site that described a process:

https://www.summet.com/blog/2012/09/...omment-page-1/

Here is teaching video

https://youtu.be/NednRKyy2Dg

Another on Youtube showed how to install and remove with a oxy-acetyline torch, which I have. And since it's all exposed and not cramped, I think I could use a torch.

Last edited by briholt; 04-30-16 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Actually there's a brass ferule caulked (leaded) into the hub and the lead bend is 'wiped' onto that ferule. The son of the plumber that put it in is an old man by now. You should definitely replace that lead bend.

Some folks will clean the lead off of the ferule and couple onto it. Personally I don't think that's as good a job as cleaning out the hub (you can drill the lead with a 1/4" bit) and installing a new cast-iron closet bend. You can use rubber donuts to install the new closet bend but they can take a /lot/ of force to push in. Dish soap helps a little.

I'm an old guy and I would just pour lead, but a donut (if you can get it in) will work just fine.

Old 05-02-16, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
You said you were moving the toilet. You will probably be removing the cast iron hub anyway. There is no point in melting the lead out. Cut it off with a sawzall and replace the hub. Or cut it off with a sawzall and use a fernco fitting on what's left of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: