Help me identify these water pipes.

Old 05-27-16, 12:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help me identify these water pipes.

I installed a new water heater but wanted to do a home filtration system. Which means I need to tie into the main cold water line running into the house. I have seen some people say they found the pipes behind their hot water heater so I was wondering if someone could help me identify these pipes. EDIT: I forgot to mention these are the pipes found directly behind my water heater.

http://s33.postimg.org/zdo42zhvj/pipes.jpg

Purple arrow - no idea
Orange arrow - Cold water line to hot water heater
Blue arrow - Unsure, I believe this is the main cold water coming into the house
Yellow arrow - Hot water line coming off the hot water heater
Red arrow - Hot water branch going into the house

I want to install the filtration system but I am unsure if I am right about the blue arrow being the main water line into the house. I would really appreciate any help, thanks!

Last edited by MetusBatman; 05-27-16 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-27-16, 02:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is this on a slab or structured floor? If you can identify the loop on the right as a cold water loop, then that would be probably the most ideal location for the filter. Difficult to tell from here. If it is structured floor, can you post pictures from beneath?

Old 05-27-16, 09:48 AM
M
Yes, the house is on a slab and after doing a little more digging into my records there was an option to install a water softening device back when the house was built in the late 90's. So it is possible that loop might have been for the water softening device. I just want to make sure that the filter will be installed before the main cold water enters the home or water heater so everything is filtered. If you have any more ideas from this additional information I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-29-16, 12:38 AM
M
No other thoughts on whether or not that is a loop for the main cold line and I can go ahead and install a whole house filtration unit on it?

Old 05-29-16, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It does appear that is a cold water line loop. You would need to determine which one is pressurized with cold water from the source, pipe it to your filtration system, and whatever else you want on it, then bring it back down and connect it to the other pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: