Leak in Sprinkler System

Old 06-09-16, 04:06 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Question Leak in Sprinkler System

I know there is a leak because I have my own meter on the system. I am leaking about 6 gal/hr downstream from my anti-siphon loop, where the meter is mounted. There are two separate zone manifolds, with two valves each and nothing is apparent in either manifold box. Is is possible that one of the low voltage diaphragm zone valves is not closing? If that were the case, a pint/minute flow would not be visible at sprinkler heads of even in the drip section of the system. I am just trying logically guess where the leak is before excavating 80 ft of underground pipe.

Old 06-09-16, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Yes one of the valves could be leaking. Can you shut one of the zones off?

Old 06-10-16, 06:36 AM
H
The system splits after the anti-siphon loop, with one 2 valve drip zone and one two valve lawn zone. The drip zone has not been operated in 10 yrs, so if a valve is leaking I am more suspicious of one of the lawn valves. I do not have valves to isolate the drip or lawn. I just don't know how to tell if a valve is leaking.

Old 06-10-16, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Slight chance if you put a rod of some kind and put it on valve and other end to your ear you might be able to hear water moving. Can you feel any dampness near the heads. leave sprinklers off for a couple of days and than go out and feel around heads. Plumber pro should be in and may have better ideas.

Old 06-10-16, 08:06 AM
H
Thanks Pugsi

However, at 71 with hearing aids, the rod to the ear won't work for me and a pint per minute is not much flow, but adds up to a big water bill.

Old 06-10-16, 08:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I have had valves leak even with my relatively new irrigation system. All it takes is a bit of debris to get caught under the diaphragm. Also, if you have zones that have not been used in 10 years it's possible their diaphragms have developed a hole or crack that is letting water by.

Old 06-10-16, 02:45 PM
H
Thanks All-Think I found it

After repairing above ground leaks yesterday, I turned the system on only to discover the leak. I left it on so the watering programs could run overnight. I went back today and after it was under pressure for over 24 hours I found the two lowest heads in one lawn zone were seeping water, so it has to be that zone valve. I'll probably replace both zone valves since these are 23 yrs old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: