Sewer drain pipe cleanout question

Old 06-21-16, 01:50 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sewer drain pipe cleanout question

I'm planning on Installing a PVC sewer drain cleanout access pipe for my 4 inch clay sewer drain. Do I need to install two separate pipes with wye's, one for each direction, or can I just install a 2 way PVC cleanout tee? There was never one installed at my house since there was no code for it in 1962 when the house was built. And, can I place it/them under a deck board or are they required to be visible? I was thinking about hanging a board on my front deck and hiding it/them underneath it but it isn't that important.
Thanks.

Old 06-22-16, 03:33 AM
F
"I was thinking about hanging a board on my front deck" should be "I was thinking about hinging a board on my front deck" meaning I would put a hinge on a board directly over the cleanout secured with a screw so I could hide the cleanout

Old 06-22-16, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Many areas don't have a code or requirement for a cleanout installed as part of a minor repair or to clean out a clog. Where you locate your's depends totally on your house, where you want to clean and how deep the drain pipe is located.

If the drain pipe is near the surface then a T will allow cleaning in both directions. If it's deeper than a clean out fitting is better as it has a nice sweep in both directions. And best if you have the room is to install two complete clean outs back to back using wyes (Y's) with each aimed in the opposite direction.

Whichever cleanout you choose remember that it will require room to work. Do not install it in a confined area or where you have to work through one board slot if you can help it. Remember someone will probably have a powered auger and need to handle the snake while having room to step on the controller for the auger.

Old 06-22-16, 06:29 AM
F
I can't entirely answer your question...I'm not sure about visibility requirement, but I do know that they can be fairly low profile; only sticking up about 1" above grade. I have a large metal cleanout sticking up about 6" out of my front lawn and I'm looking to eventually have it cut down.

I've had a few too many incidents with those things and lawnmowers...why did the installers insist on having them stick so far up out of the ground?

Old 06-22-16, 09:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I like to install them so there is about 18-24" sticking above ground so it's tall enough to be seen even in high grass. On my rental properties I also dig a 2' diameter circle abour 3-4" deep around the cleanout and pour concrete so tenants don't have to try and mow so close to it.

Lowering the cleanout to be flush with the ground can really help with lawnmowing. It can also mean that the cleanout gets covered and lost over time. You also have to be certain that the main drain underground and your vertical riser can support the weight of whatever may drive over it. I've had one where a tenent drove their truck over it and while the riser survived the cleanout fitting below grade shattered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: