water supply line and sewer drain - same ground trench??

Old 06-24-16, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water supply line and sewer drain - same ground trench??

I'm doing a remodel in south MS and I want to run a new water supply line. The lod line comes in under the slab and I want to run my supply up the wall into the attic space so I can keep my concrete demo to a minimum. If I demo concrete and run new sewer line out the side of the house can I use this same trench to run the water supply into the house and up an interior wall to the attic? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-16, 03:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
Check the codes in your area. Most allow both to be in the same trench but I've seen differing separation requirements. One thing to keep in mind is if either line has to be serviced in the future. You don't hit one line when digging to service the other. So, separating them as much as possible can be a good idea.

Old 06-25-16, 12:41 PM
D
+1 on one line getting in the way of other for future repairs. And that can be a real pain.

If in MS, the frost line isn't that deep. Digging narrow trench for water line usually isn't too bad, unless rocky, lots of tree roots, long distance.

If anyone wanted to dig down to the sewer line w/ small backhoe, it'd be impossible w/ water line over it.

Old 06-25-16, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Check the codes in your area
Worth repeating! If it doesn't meet local code it doesn't matter how everyone else does it. I was on a job in fla years ago where the town houses I was painting got red flagged because the sewer and water supply lines were less than 18" apart [code for that city]

Old 06-26-16, 07:51 PM
Thanks
The code the city uses is the 2012 residential and 2012 plumbing books. sometimes i have trouble getting detailed info from the books. Is there a better place to get details if the code books dont have it> Thanks

Old 06-26-16, 07:57 PM
Oh. I forgot to say. Thanks for the replies. I will run separate trenches for each line because of the good feedback I got from your replies, no matter what the code allows!! Much appreciated!