Does $4000 sound reasonable for this job?

Old 06-25-16, 10:25 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does $4000 sound reasonable for this job?

This is part II of my post, "Can a Neptune 900i water meter fail by speeding up?" in which we came to the conclusion that there is indeed a water leak under our driveway. We're leaking so much water (24,000 gallons last month) that we have to turn off the water at night to try to save some $$$.

We were away all this past week on vacation and just got home to get the estimate from the plumber. Instead of his original idea of running along the side of the driveway and then across the front of the house, into the garage and having exposed pipes all the way across to the water heater, he said a neater idea--and better for resale of the house--would be to bore under the driveway (ours is 22 feet wide and usually 15 is the max but he says they'll manage)--hook up to our sprinkler system, run across the outside of the garage, turn 90 degrees along the side of the house and go into the wall where our water heater is.

I know you're supposed to get other estimates but we're actually kind of relieved about $4000 since we were imagining much more than that.

This guy doesn't have a website or anything with testimonials, but we know his last job was a very popular hamburger place nearby. He was recommended by our handyman/friend and another friend who says he does good work but his prices used to be very high.

One thing in his favor so far: he isn't charging us for any of the several trips he's made out here already, assessing the situation.

I guess you could say it's laziness, eagerness to get this thing done with, and a certain feeling of obligation to him already that makes us just feel like telling him "Go for it."

Old 06-25-16, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I have no idea about the price but the bore under driveway was what I was thinking. I thought there was a reason they did not suggest it.

Old 06-25-16, 11:33 AM
B
I think he was thinking it would be easier and less expensive. But then in the week we were away he concluded the best idea looks-wise would be under the driveway--even though a little more expensive.

Old 06-25-16, 05:40 PM
B
Some friends we trust told us we could trust this guy, so we'll go with him.

Old 06-25-16, 07:15 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I too can't comment on the price, it does sound like quite a bit of trenching and plumbing work. But I think you have the best solution considering you've found a professional who both comes recommended by others as well as having been helpful in the process leading up to this point.

While you could probably save a few dollars going with someone else, you obviously have some level of trust with him - go for it!

And for what it's worth, I like the idea of running the main underground the whole way, it sounds much cleaner.

-Mike

Old 06-25-16, 08:39 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
--hook up to our sprinkler system, run across the outside of the garage, turn 90 degrees along the side of the house and go into the wall where our water heater is
Something tells me that hooking up to your sprinkler system isn't such a great idea.

Old 06-26-16, 12:04 PM
B
The plumber says in response "How the heck are you supposed to run your sprinkler system if you don't have it connected to your water line? Unless you want to have to connect your hose to it..."

Last edited by Bham45; 06-26-16 at 12:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: