Old 07-07-16, 11:36 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check dryer gas connection

Name:  IMG_4698.jpg
Views: 8105
Size:  17.9 KB

What is wrong with this Gas Connection to the dryer ?

Old 07-07-16, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
I don't know.... care to enlighten us ??

In the thread where you posted this post originally.... they were discussing CSST piping where the outer coating is yellow poly and it was run thru the floor. In your picture you ARE NOT running the yellow gas line through the floor and it appears to be the correct flexible line for a movable gas appliance.

Old 07-07-16, 02:22 PM
I see nothing wrong, not even close to wrong, unless it's leaking gas.

Did someone tell you it's wrong piping? Or maybe your question is why is the dryer not heating?

Old 07-07-16, 04:16 PM
K
Thank you all. I'm Selling my home and the buyers inspection report said the "incorrect gas supply line in use for the dryer. Local code should be followed for safety". Dryer is working just fine. I live in Aurora IL.

Old 07-07-16, 05:06 PM
I recommend you call the gas company. I don't know if it applies everywhere, but here the gas company will inspect gas appliances free of charge. They will not make any corrections, but will leave a tag or tag the item out.
It could be something as simple as galvanized pipe was used instead of black pipe (or reverse), or the valve output and flex line is too large of a diameter, it's hard to tell from the pictures. The inspector should have told you the specific problem.

Old 07-07-16, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
The only thing I can think of is I remember Mike (the plumbing pro) mentioning something about that yellow covered flex line may not be approved for use in all areas. I'm guessing that would leave the non plastic covered aluminum flex as a choice.

Your area follows the 2009 International Fuel and Gas codes including appendix chapters A, B, C and D . I didn't see anything specific in relation to a dryer gas connection.

law.resource.org/pub/us/code/ibr/icc.ifgc.2009.pdf

Last edited by PJmax; 07-07-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the link Pete. I can't see anything wrong with this install.
Here are a few quotes from the code. Every reference I can find to gas appliances says install per manufacturer's instructions.

The coated and non-coated flex lines are both stainless steel. The coated is referred to as corrosion resistant.
I don't think I can help on this one, some authority in the locality needs to tell the OP what's wrong, or tell the OP that the home inspector isn't quite up to determining what's allowed or not allowed. I think the inspector might be wrong.

613.1 General. Clothes dryers shall be tested in accordance
with ANSI Z21.5.1 or ANSI Z21.5.2 and shall be installed in
accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

411.1 Connecting appliances. Except as required by Section
411.1.1, appliances shall be connected to the piping system by
one of the following:
1. Rigid metallic pipe and fittings.
2. Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) where installed
in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
3. Semirigid metallic tubing and metallic fittings. Lengths
shall not exceed 6 feet (1829 mm) and shall be located
entirely in the same room as the appliance. Semirigid
metallic tubing shall not enter a motor-operated appliance
through an unprotected knockout opening.
4. Listed and labeled appliance connectors in compliance
with ANSI Z21.24 and installed in accordance with the
manufacturer's installation instructions and located
entirely in the same room as the appliance.

Old 07-08-16, 07:32 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Unfortunately inspection reports are notoriously iffy in their facts. As others have said, it looks like it's installed correctly. The home inspector is rarely an expert in all the trades, so may miss some of the details.

I think you have two options:
1) Get a plumber in to give his professional opinion of the installation. It'll cost a bit of $$, but will provide undeniable proof that it's installed correctly (or he'll fix it if it's not)

2) Call the gas company. They'll send someone out right away, and they understand how these home inspections work. You can report back to the realtor/buyer that the gas company inspected it and signed off on it.

3) Reach out to the realtor/inspector and ask for more details.

(3 is probably the hardest, since no one (unfortunately) will want to believe you that it's right)

Good luck!

Old 07-09-16, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Looks good to me but in picture just above shut off valve, picture is not clear. What is the yellow blob there???

Old 07-09-16, 12:09 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Maybe I just don't read the picture properly. The only thing that might be questionable is the dryer vent. That foil stuff is a no no. And the fact that it goes through the wall as opposed to a rigid dryer vent coming through the wall to attach it to. The gas line looks OK. The vent may be the questionable item.

Pugsi,I think that yellow blob is the label tag on the flex gas line.

Old 07-09-16, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
No...not the vent. The OP stated the inspector singled out the gas line.

Old 07-09-16, 02:01 PM
True. But in light of the picture and the fact that the gas line looks good, AND the vent line looks questionable, I wonder if the inspector and/or the OP spoke wrong or got it mixed up and meant to say vent.

Do you see any possible problem with the vent? Would you be comfortable with the vent as it shows in the pic?

Again maybe I'm just not seeing it correctly.

If you want to knit pick I guess I could find fault with the gas line. It seems to big in dia for today's dryers. That near 90 degree bent at the dryer connection seems tight. It's only one pic and we aren't sure exactly what the inspector wrote down or said.

Old 07-09-16, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Only thing I see wrong with vent is that it is way to long. Only needs to be long enough to pull dryer out to get behind it. If it goes through wall the outer part should be hard medal.

Old 07-09-16, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Probably an old school inspector/plumber like myself..

Code always dictated here in NJ no flex line longer then 3 ft......

That flex line is longer...4 ft???

Thats all I could come up with..

Other then that though that vent line although looks metallic is in fact plastic. In NJ must be semi rigid or rigid with a smooth interior.. Not corrugated like yours... Fire Fire Fire.....

Old 07-09-16, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Just call the plumbing inspector in your municipality and ask him what local code is regarding dryers... That will put it to rest...

Old 07-09-16, 06:27 PM
Other then that though that vent line although looks metallic is in fact plastic. In NJ must be semi rigid or rigid with a smooth interior.. Not corrugated like yours... Fire Fire Fire.....
Plastic? You think? We sell that junk at our store. Maybe not the same stuff. It's tin foil (maybe with a Mylar coating) that you can put you finger through. I discourage customers from buying. It if they don't buy the straight rigid I encourage them to buy the heavy duty expandable stuff.

We sell the white plastic stuff (it's legal to sell it) but not legal to use it as dryer venting. Go figure!

Old 07-09-16, 07:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
One simple solution is to insist that you be given a printed copy of the code section it violates.

Old 07-10-16, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I get a kick out of us. We have pounded this topic to death but the OP hasn't been back since original posting. Always have to find the answer.

Old 07-10-16, 07:44 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Hey! I disresemble that remark. Talking to yourself is the most intelligent thing in the world.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: