Air admittance valve in wall.

Old 07-12-16, 07:32 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Air admittance valve in wall.

Hi.
I have a project requiring washer outlet box installation. However, bringing vent pipe over to it is a big hassle (plaster ceiling + cast iron stack ).

Easiest way out will be installing a air admittance valve, but I would need to put in in the wall since I will be using washer outlet box instead of standpipe. I know there are special air admittance valve set with a recessed box and louvered cover, but my local hardware or plumbing supply store don't stock them.
Can I just install air admittance valve in the wall with return air grill on the wall?

Old 07-13-16, 07:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, you can install the AAV in just about anything. It just has to be accessible for servicing. So, you can cover it with a panel screwed in place, install a cabinet door over it or just leave it open. The key is that you cannot permanently cover it (don't sheet rock over it).

Old 07-13-16, 03:54 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Thanks.

you can cover it with a panel screwed in place, install a cabinet door over it
But, doesn't it need to be open to air for it to work?

Old 07-13-16, 04:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
But, doesn't it need to be open to air for it to work?
Most wall spaces aren't air tight.

Old 07-13-16, 06:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I do mostly finish plumbing and am not a venting expert. I have used the AAV's though.

I would recommend you check locally to see if they are allowed in the wall. I have never seen one in the wall in California and would be hesitant to install one in a wall.

There are also restrictions on how high the AAV must be or is allowed to be above the trap arm.

That said I trust them, they work good. They are designed for a single fixture only, which is what you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: