Replacing washer and O-ring on bathroom sink handle

Old 07-15-16, 03:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing washer and O-ring on bathroom sink handle

All, I have a bathroom sink handle that is leaking from base of the handle whenever I turn on the water. Please see image attachments.

I think the sink is original and had a heck of a time removing just the handle. I'm stumped on the next problem though. Now that I have the handle off, I can't seem to remove the escutcheon and hence cannot remove the stem to get to O-ring/washers. The escutcheon will not budge. It almost seems fused to the stem itself (not sure if you can tell from the pictures). There doesn't seem to be any seam between the escutcheon and the stem assembly. When I twist the escutcheon by hand the whole assembly seems to rotate, escutcheon + stem. Btw, is the nut that you see on the picture the packing nut to remove the stem or is it part of the stem itself. The space between the shell of the escutcheon and the said nut is only a few millimeters, not really big enough to get any kind of wrench in there.

Any help is appreciated!

Attached Images    
Old 07-15-16, 04:06 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You need a deep well socket to get to that nut.

Old 07-15-16, 04:23 PM
C
OK, @norm201, is that the packing nut? If I get a deep well socket and unscrew it, the stem will come out? Thank you, btw.

Old 07-15-16, 04:49 PM
I think so. Can't figure out what else it could be. Here's a hint. Turn the faucet slightly on before trying to back out the nut. Sometimes with the valve totally closed the stem might bind in the body.

Old 07-16-16, 05:42 PM
C
Well, someone found this on the Kohler website. Apparently, this set might not be THAT old after all. I'm not sure where to go from here though.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Fairfax-...randId=1152504

It doesn't seem that that is a packing nut after all based on the picture of the stem below and the escutcheon is threaded onto the stem assembly itself. Maybe I will call Kohler and ask for their advice.

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-16, 04:37 AM
It uses a cartridge system and most likely a life time warranty part. You can also buy this part at most any home hardware store.

Old 07-17-16, 06:55 PM
C
OK thanks for all the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: