straight tub drain

Old 08-01-16, 07:07 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
straight tub drain

Hey all, we are doing a DIY bathroom remodel and have to move our tub drain. The tub we purchased doesn't have an overflow. We had to move the water supply as well, so we removed some of the subflooring and have everything ready, but I have question about the tub drain. The drain on this tub is in the center. We are looking at this particular tub drain, or something similar.

Does this type of drain simply slide into the 1.5 inch PVc pipe with no seal at all, or am I missing something that attaches to the end of the drain pipe that will create a seal when i place the tub over the drain pipe?

Old 08-01-16, 07:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
[QUOTE]Does this type of drain simply slide into the 1.5 inch PVc pipe with no seal [QUOTE]No. It goes into a P-trap. The P-trap goes into a trap adapter on the PVC pipe.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 4384
Size:  22.9 KB

Old 08-01-16, 07:45 PM
F
Thanks for the response, that makes better sense. This may be difficult since once the tub is down, I wont be able to screw it into the p-trap. Do these type of drains unscrew at the top so I can set the pipe in the p-trap, then screw it on after the tub is placed? Attached is a pic of the configuration now and the red x is where I need to move the drain. Can i use a similar fitting and keep the p-trap where it is?

Name:  tubdrain.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  26.5 KB

Edit: uploaded wrong pic, not sure how to delete!

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-16, 07:51 PM
It would be connected from below.

Old 08-01-16, 07:55 PM
F
You mean from the room below? I thought of that, but unfortunately, that room has tongue and groove pine over the sheet rock. I suppose i could make a access port there, but it would be right in the middle of the room and sure would be ugly... maybe i don't have a choice here, or maybe I should just go with a straight drain shoe that is threaded.

Old 08-01-16, 08:10 PM
Now you know why drains or normally at the wall end of the tub. In the center creates access problems. IMHO the tub is not suited for you application. Maybe you can install it like a shower pan but that requires plumbing in place before you install.

But I'm not a plumbing pro. Wait for their answers.

Old 08-01-16, 08:14 PM
F
I believe the previous tub was a DIY job as well... it was a mess in there.

I think I will flip that vent around so I can make a straight run to under the tub drain and put the p-trap directly under the drain. Then i can leave a hole there for access should I ever need to get in there. I will need that anyway due to my free standing faucet fittings (accidentally posted below)

I'm referring to something like this when I say straight drain shoe (not sure what they called):

Name:  tubdrain1.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  15.9 KB

Last edited by Furian; 08-01-16 at 08:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: