Need inline water filter for new fridge

Old 08-24-16, 11:48 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need inline water filter for new fridge

Just got new GE top freezer fridge with ice maker. The ice maker kit came with GE SmartConnect 1/4" 5' stainless steel hose instead of clear vinyl or plastic tubing. My fridge does not have its own water filter. So looking for a way to put an inline water filter. But I cannot find one that has 1/4" connectors already on filter (only quick connect for tubing you have to cut). Stainless steel tubing is too large diameter to fit on inline filter with quick connects.

So looking for possible solutions. Can I put an inline filter with 3/8" connection (typical for sink faucet filters) to compression connector at water supply? I already had 3/8" water supply in wall so bought a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter to connect ice maker. Thinking I could connect 3/8" water filter to water supply between my 3/8" to 1/4" adapter to stainless steel tubing. See any problems with this idea?

Old 08-24-16, 04:03 PM
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Some pictures might be needed, especially a picture of the end of the fridge hose.

Where is your water supply, behind the fridge or under the sink? If it's under the sink you have more options.
A short answer is there are many different compression couplers and adapters and you should be able to find what you need at a home center. They're not easy to find, but the store should have them.
Be careful to not overtighten the compression fittings.

Old 09-01-16, 06:35 PM
F
I believe water supply is coming from laundry closet behind wall where fridge is located. The sink is opposite side of kitchen.

I replaced a leaky multi-turn water supply handle with quarter turn. Was 1/2" to 3/8". To connect ice maker, I installed a 3/8 x 3/8 x 1/4 tee and capped the 3/8 outlet (local plumbing supply did not have hex 3/8 to 1/4 adapter.) Then screwed ice maker water supply hose to 1/4 outlet.

So I want to install a water filter to ice maker. Inline won't work because stainless steel supply hose.

Attached Images  
Old 09-01-16, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
They do make filters with threaded ends where you could install 1/4" threaded fittings. You'd then need a short 1/4" to 1/4" hose to connect the filter to the valve or the fridge.

Old 09-01-16, 07:20 PM
F
All the ones I found had instructions on how to cut supply line to insert. Was considering GE GXRTQR but it says requires tube cutter (not included) so assume don't just screw on. Perhaps this only applies to copper lines.

Old 09-02-16, 08:47 AM
If you want to install an in-line filter, here's what you need:

- 1/4" copper tubing
- 2 compression nuts with ferrules, 1/4"
- 1 compression coupler/union, 1/4"

Connect about a 4' coil of copper into the valve adapter (the line should be made longer than 5')
Connect a short piece of copper into the compression union, and then connect the union to the end of the fridge hose.
Insert the filter between the long and short sections of tube.

Post back if you need help on how to tighten the fittings to be leak free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: