Dripping Sound in Bathroom Wall

Old 09-03-16, 02:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dripping Sound in Bathroom Wall

A few nights ago--late at night--I heard a faint dripping sound while in the bathroom. It seems like it is coming from the wall under the bathroom sink. I looked at the wall and inside the cabinet that holds the sink and I did not see any evidence of a leak. The dripping sound is constant--running the water or flushing the toilet doesn't affect the speed of the dripping at all. The piping is PVC (if that makes a difference.)

In my building there is a condo above me and one below me.

I don't know what to do about this. I'm worried that if I called a plumber he would rip out the wall looking for the leak--and it may not even be in MY wall. It could be in the upstairs people's wall, right?

So, I am looking for suggestions on what to do. Should I just wait and see if any tangible evidence of a leak appears? What do most people do in this situation?
Any feedback is welcome--I am very stressed out about this!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-16, 03:17 PM
J
Do you know what is the wall behind your sink? Is there another condo? If so, do you know if they have a sink or shower on the other side of the wall? Is the cabinet that holds the sink open in the back? Does the plumbing come through the wall under the sink?

Old 09-03-16, 03:36 PM
G
Thank you for responding.
On the other side of the wall is my living room. (I believe all the condos have the same floor plan, so the upstairs people would have a bathroom directly above my bathroom, if that matters.)

The cabinet that holds the sink is open in the back. Poking through the wall is a curved PVC pipe that drains the sink and the two flexible hoses that supply the water to the sink.

Old 09-03-16, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want to pay for investigating someone else's leak.

But you can do some of your own detective work. Use a cardboard tube as a stethoscope to help narrow down the location of the sound. A small hole could be made to insert a digital inspection camera if you are really that concerned.

Old 09-03-16, 03:50 PM
It's really hard to say what's dripping. Does it sound like water dripping into a pool of water (a plunk) or dripping onto something soft, like wood?

I only have two ideas, a leaking fixture such as a tub in the upstairs unit, or a condensate drain for air conditioning that was tied into the bath drain.
If you don't see a rubber hose tied into your vanity drain, then condensate is probably out.

If you suspect a neighbors fixtures are leaking, get your insurance involved asap. It could be a false alarm or a leak can cause major hidden damage.

Old 09-03-16, 04:39 PM
J
Is there a fluorescent light on the sink wall? Is so, turn the light off. A fluorescent light ballast can make a sound like a water drip. Also, are there any rain gutters or downspouts nearby? If so, had it rained that night? Also, is there a shower in your bathroom?

Old 09-03-16, 06:16 PM
G
Wow...you guys are awesome with all the responses!

In the time since my last post I went back home (after I got off work.)

When I went into the bathroom, there was a large water bubble on the ceiling and a wet line the length of the ceiling. I paid a visit to the people upstairs, and it turns out their toilet tank is cracked and leaking water everywhere. The neighbor guy came downstairs to see, and he poked holes in the bubble and drained the water out.

I guess it's better than a broken pipe hidden in the wall, but a portion of my ceiling will need to be replaced. The upstairs owner already contacted his insurance company so hopefully I won't have to pay for it myself.

Thanks again for all your responses. It's nice to know there's a place I can ask for feedback on these types of problems.