Old lead shower pan and drain.

Old 09-14-16, 06:52 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old lead shower pan and drain.

I'm tearing out the old master bath including the old lead shower pan. Should I be concerned about the lead? Also, since the base is mortar(?) and I'm replacing/rebuilding the shower pan/drain, should I be extra careful around the old drain to not break it or just plow through it? It's on a slab foundation and the drain goes to a septic system, if that makes a difference.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4313
Size:  42.8 KB

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-16, 09:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all about the lead pan. Don't eat it - but other than that, you're safe. Use gloves if you're really worried about it.

You want to be careful with the drain though. Try to keep as much debris out of it as possible, and try not to break it. If you're lucky, you may be able to cut it and just install your new strainer. If you crack it, you'll definitely need to be digging down to replace the P-trap.

Old 09-14-16, 10:28 AM
H
Ok, thanks Zorfdt. That's what I thought.

Old 09-15-16, 08:18 AM
H
Ok Zorfdt, I'm down to the old drain. In the last post you mentioned cutting it off. Where? Flush with pan? Flush with the underside of the screen? Cut the screws off? I presume you mean to use a reciprocating saw to cut it off. Would I try to take all of the old drain connection off? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to do it right the first time with minimal screw ups. Like cracking the drain.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3307
Size:  41.2 KB

Old 09-15-16, 08:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There is little chance of getting it out without cutting a hole in the floor. There is a chance that it was installed with a rubber boot, but chances are slim. Are you going back with a custom mud bed or an acrylic/fiberglass shower base?

Old 09-15-16, 09:02 AM
H
By cutting a hole in the floor do you mean the concrete slab foundation? I was thinking of a custom mud base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: