Question on 1950's technique

Old 09-15-16, 03:22 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Question on 1950's technique

Under a bath lav I encountered a 1-1/4 chrome tailpiece extension coming out of a CI hub inside the wall. I can't determine how the tailpiece is attached to the hub. Were these leaded in back in the day? The tailpiece is corroding and may have to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-16, 04:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes they were sometimes soldered. If the hole will be covered by a cabinet when finished I'd suggest open the wall and replace a section of the pipe with PVC using no hub connectors.

Old 09-15-16, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's always best to go into the wall as Ray said.
In order to use the existing arm, you will need about 1-1/2" of good pipe coming out of the tee, this is often doable. Cut the pipe back and see what it looks like.
From your short stub out, you can use a 1-1/4" flexible or hard connector to connect a tubular slip trap.

Old 09-16-16, 06:19 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thanks. There is a 4" x 4" square hole in the back of the cabinet. The only way into the wall would be cutting a lot more of the cabinet back out. My task on this was merely to clean the clogged trap and waste arm, which I accomplished. I reassembled as it had been, which is by a thread. Currently, it doesn't leak but I told her to be very diligent. I agree cutting the brass tube back to where it is not corroded and a coupling with a Fernco is very desirable vs going into the wall. A general contractor remodeled this bath in 2006 and should have reworked the waste plumbing, but didn't. Maybe this will not leak--it has been this way for 10 yrs.