Sprinkler valve wiring problem

Old 10-05-16, 10:17 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sprinkler valve wiring problem

Hi all,

My dog opened the sprinkler valve cover and pulled off the wires. I'm trying to connect back the wires as in the picture but not sure whether it's good or not. If it's good, what to do with the thick white one and the one with small red and black in it? Or what should be the correct connection?

Thank you very much for your help !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71578[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 10-05-16 at 12:04 PM. Reason: reposted picture
Old 10-05-16, 11:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
How many valves or zones do you have? Often the larger or odd wire is the common or ground and every valve/solenoid gets one wire connected to it. Then the other wire from the valve solenoid connects to it's zone wire.

Often irrigation systems use multi conductor cable which often have 5, 7, 9 or more conductors (wires) inside. Unless your system has a lot of zones you likely have a number of wires that won't get connected to anything. You can often get a clue as to what connects where by looking at your controller. You should see which color wire is connected to ground/common and which conductors/colors are used for each zone.

Old 10-05-16, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
I can't figure out what your picture is. It has some type of attribute attached to and inbedded in it that I cannot remove. It won't allow a full size pic to be posted.

Now in addition to what Dane left..... open the controller up and look at what you have for underground wiring. It looks like it may be all red wires in a cable.

A picture would be good too.

Old 10-07-16, 11:19 AM
R
I've reattached the pictures but the website reduce the pictures size significantly. Hope they are clear this time. I have six zones and this one has two valves in it. There are four red thick lines, four black/white lines, one white line with small red and black line in it (the one on the farthest left) and one thick white line. The white thick one seems to be the ground wire. Two of the thick red line should be the signal lines from controller box. But I don't know what to do with other lines.

Attached Images    
Old 10-07-16, 12:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Oh, that's infuriating! Using the same color wire for all your zone wiring.

Look at your controller and see if the white wire is your common or ground. If so out at your valves all the valves will have one wire connected to the white.

Finding out which red wire goes to which zone valve will be slightly annoying. If you have a volt meter you can activate one of your zones on the control panel then go outside and check to see which red wire is hot (has current). Then connect that red wire to the appropriate valve for that zone.

Old 10-07-16, 01:03 PM
R
I plan to connect like this:

one black/white line from each valve connect to the thick white common wire,
for the other two black/white lines, connect to the red thick wires that control the zones.

This will leave two red thick wires which I think they are useless right now. What about the one that's on the farthest left? Do I need to connect it to anything?

Old 10-07-16, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Look closely at the red wires.... there should be some type of tracer or numbering on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: