Heating cable for ABS discharge pipe

Old 10-12-16, 06:20 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Heating cable for ABS discharge pipe

We have a bump-out bathroom with uninsulated pipes in the floor. In the past we've used a portable heater to protect the pipes. I've asked forum questions and it appears insulating adequately to protect the pipes from freezing is problematic.

We're now exploring use of heating cables, combined with insulation. From speaking with one of the leading manufacturers, I'm convinced heating cables will work well on water pipes up to 2" in diameter but may not be adequate for discharge pipes and therein lies my question.

For #3 (3 1/2" outside diameter) abs drainage pipe, could two parallel cables along the sides or winding the cable around the pipe keep the drainage pipes from freezing? Is there some other approach you'd recommend? Note that the manufacturer recommends self-regulating pipe heater cable but this seems far too complicated for our problem.

I've included some photos and here's some additional information. We're in Connecticut but the space is enclosed (see photos) so we don't expect to deal with temperatures below zero. We intend to insulate around the pipes, but probably no more than a few inches.

Attached Images    
Old 10-12-16, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Note that the manufacturer recommends self-regulating pipe heater cable but this seems far too complicated for our problem.
Why is that ?

Self regulating is a good thing as it will only come on when cold and won't overheat and melt the pipe. You need to follow manufacturers instructions for the tape you use. Most of them cannot overlap when wrapped.

Old 10-12-16, 10:53 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
The self-regulating pipe heaters I've found (for 3-4" pipe) seem to require wiring directly to a circuit breaker. That's not something I'm comfortable with and feels like a lot of complexity to protect two 10-12' sections of pipe. If there's a product you can recommend, please let me know. For other pipes we'll probably be using EasyHeat AHB heating cables which can plug directly into an outlet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: