Concern over plumbing fittings leaking

Old 10-15-16, 01:39 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concern over plumbing fittings leaking

So I had a few valves replaced by a plumber in my basement a few days ago that didn't work and one actually developed a slow leak. He came over cut them out and put in new valves. He didn't solder the new ones on, he used some machine to crimp them on.

Ive noticed one of them (its a T but right after crimp where the old pipe connects into the new pipe) seems to have a little moisture on the outside rim on the bottom on it. Its not dripping or anything. Only thing I can think of is the crimp was incorrectly done or theres still moisture in it from when he cut the pipes and water flowed out for a little bit. Im just worried with winter coming this could pose an issue or heck it could actually be a small leak

Is there anything I can do? I tried calling their office but its been busy and haven't had a return call yet. Maybe im being paranoid. This particular t connects to a valve that goes to a refrigerator line. Im wondering also if maybe closing the valve would help a little as well.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-16, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A picture of the valve/plumbing would sure be a big help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-15-16, 02:07 PM
K
Ok heres the picture. Even drew some arrows!

Name:  valve2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  39.2 KB

Old 10-15-16, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Thanks for the picture.

If that's a drop of water at the fitting to pipe connection then it needs to be addressed by your plumber. Maybe he'll be third time lucky this time.

Name:  valve2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 10-15-16, 02:57 PM
K
Oh no thats just a bad glare actually haha. That pipe is actually fine with no issues. Just was easier to access and get a clearer shot than the one with the issue. Basically its at the bottom, its a little moisture inside. Its not even a lot. Barely noticeable unless you actually are ocd and inspect it with a flashlight (military in me coming out) Took a napkin and wiped the rim/inside with the napkin and fingernail and checked later and it was back. Not as much. Before it was 1/2 the circumference of it now its just the bottom of the fitting.

No drops or beading out since Thursday (on the ground or out of it)just kind of sits barely in the rim where the male and female connection is crimped. Curious if just moisture from when he cut the pipes. Or if there's anything simple I could do. Thanks! Maybe im making a mountain out of a molehill but I like clarity and prevention!

Editeded for clarification

Last edited by Kb887; 10-15-16 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 04:58 PM
My view is a fitting should not seep, even if it doesn't drip, everything should be bone dry.

IMO even leaks that don't drip might cause problems over time such as mineral build up.
Picky yes, but any plumbing part can be installed correctly.

Old 10-15-16, 05:31 PM
K
Thats my thought process on it. Im going to have to wait either way for a response from the plumber sometime during the week. Just didn't know if I could somehow clamp down on that simply enough.

Or if it was something as simple as the water that was still on the pipes when he clamped them on as he never dried them off. Guess im being picky/anal but I paid money for a job I didn't have the time to do now im stuck worrying about it you know? Pretty sure I know the plumbers response or answer will be to try to charge me more and well thats not going to fly. Ill fn sweat that stuff on or putty it or something first haha

Old 10-15-16, 06:30 PM
If the company is reputable, they should take care of you at no charge.
Like you said, you paid to have it done right, not worry about it.
Any plumbing fitting should be completely dry except in the case of condensation.
If the seepage bothers you, don't try to seal it with caulk or putty, that won't help.

Old 10-16-16, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Just to be clear, you did dry off the water when you first saw it, right? If it's a leak and not condensation you should be able to pinpoint where the leak is shortly.

Old 10-16-16, 07:21 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Today, use a wad of toilet paper and your fingernails to sop up as much moisture as you can including around the edge of the fitting.

Day after tomorrow press a flat sheet of toilet paper against the edge of the fitting and any water will be revealed easily.

This kind of solderless fitting has some kind of O-ring or other compression seal that is not metal-to-metal. There exist metal to metal compression fittings for plumbing that require the use of wrenches and are more likely to be found on pipes well under 1/2 inch.

Old 10-16-16, 03:24 PM
K
Yup dried it up a few times. Yesterday afternoon was the last time. As of typing this (6:17pm est Sunday) no moisture. So hopefully it was just moisture on the pipes. Ill keep an eye on it definitely.

One more question. My fridge is making a thump after using the water function on it. It never did before, this is after the water turns off. Im assuming the pressure is to high and thats the valve slamming shut in the fridge? Its pretty loud, including the actual demand for water when it makes ice, which it wasn't before. The water does come out slightly faster but it's really hard to tell how much faster because its still a tiny slow stream. Not sure if this is bad for the fridge as it sounds sort of violent compared to what it did.

Wondering if throttling the valve down, downstairs, a little would help? Really have no clue how open or closed the saddle valve was as I never touched it. And you've seen the picture ive posted, adjusting that valve would only adjust the little line to the fridge correct? Sorry I know nothing about plumbing!

Thanks!

Old 10-16-16, 03:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The main purpose of that valve is to turn the water supply off to the fridge. It's not intended to adjust the water flow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: