Propane lines

Old 11-14-16, 05:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propane lines

I have a 500 gallon propane tank that enters through my foundation and is 3/4" black iron under my house. When the line branches off to my stove it drops down to 1/2". The original installer of the lines put some plugged T's in for future expansion.

I want to run propane to my grill and to a fire pit. Luckily my deck (where my grill sits) is about 15 feet away from the currently installed black iron lines. It also seems the propane lines are not grounded so I need to do that. The fire pit will be about 30 feet away from my deck so I'd have to bury at least that much.

Can I run 3/4" black iron through my foundation and then switch over to CSST? I read that CSST needs to be in a watertight conduit. So I figured I'd just get some 1" conduit and bury it and hang it under my deck. Then run the CSST through it.

Thoughts? Is this the wrong approach? Is there a more preferred method?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong post.

Old 11-14-16, 08:00 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It also seems the propane lines are not grounded...
I assume you mean not electrically bonded to the electrical service Grounding Electrode system, i.e. the ground rod and cable. If the piping is connected to appliances that also have an electrical connection with a proper equipment ground, then the additional bond is probably not necessary.

Can I run 3/4" black iron through my foundation...
Yes, but once it goes outdoors you need to provide the necessary corrosion resistance to the piping. Generally a primer and two coats of oil-based paint for metal will suffice.

...and then switch over to CSST?
I would not advise that route.

I read that CSST needs to be in a watertight conduit. So I figured I'd just get some 1" conduit and bury it and hang it under my deck. Then run the CSST through it.
I have never heard of that but I DO know that ANY gas piping run through a "sleeve" needs the sleeve properly ventilated on both ends.

There are special rules that need to be followed for any buried gas piping. With propane it generally means using a continuous length of copper tubing with flared fittings located above ground. I would never use plain black steel pipe OR CSST buried.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: