Stainless or rust-proof (metal) drain cover/grate for basement?

Old 01-03-17, 09:39 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stainless or rust-proof (metal) drain cover/grate for basement?

Am I insane for thinking there should be stainless steel floor drain covers for basement drains that are sturdy enough to step on? The only rust-proof option I can find on the entire interwebs is a pvc one... what gives? These are the first things in the house that are going to rust away to nothing, why does no one make a stainless option? I'm talking a 7" one, not the little 4 1/2" ones. The only ones I've seen are about the thickness of a tin can. Can anyone point me to what I'm looking for? Is there a reason they're harder to find than Bigfoot?

Old 01-03-17, 10:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
I don't have a great answer for you - but have you looked for brass floor drain covers? They seem to be more common than stainless. Though they aren't cheap! (though that's probably the reason they don't make/sell many stainless covers either)

Old 01-03-17, 11:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 964 Votes on 885 Posts
There are stainless and brass but they are pricey. The ones in my house are PVC and after 15 years of driving tractors and excavators over them they're all still in one piece. If you want a sturdy grate or floor drain you'll likely have to look somewhere other than big box home centers. Check with plumbing suppliers and especially those that supply for commercial construction.

Old 01-03-17, 12:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I hadn't thought about brass. Hmm. Either of you guys know where to find a stainless or brass one? I can't find any round ones at all, even with Google. All commercial drains are trying to sell me is square/rectangle ones. I'll pay whatever they want to be done scrubbing cast iron lol

Old 01-03-17, 03:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 964 Votes on 885 Posts
I just searched for "brass floor drain grate" and many options popped-up.

Old 01-03-17, 06:39 PM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
I would go for the PVC or fiberglass units.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: