Under-sink PVC piping crack

Old 02-01-17, 10:36 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Under-sink PVC piping crack

Hi all,

Congratulated myself too soon for installing a new garbage disposal, I'm a big novice so felt quite proud. In tightening the PVC connections, became overzealous and cracked the fitting on the PVC pipe. I was thinking I'd be able to replace the cracked fastener, but it's unable to come off the PVC pipe as there is a wedge that it can't come over easily (I suppose I could force or just break it off at the crack, but I'm unsure what'd I replace it with). The U-pipe that it fastens to is threaded. Right now it is water-tight and not leaking, but I anticipate that this has the potential to be compromised over time and lead to a leak due to the standing water. At the very least would be picked up by a home inspector if I ever decide to sell my place and would need replacing anyways.

Any possible solutions? I'm not skilled with PVC piping and wanted to see if there were any possible solutions other than finding a plumber to cut new piping. Apologies if this is a basic question.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 02-01-17, 10:46 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
You can just remove the two flange bolts on the GD and that will release the tension on that joint so you can unscrew the nut and disconnect the trap.

Unfortunately, the nut that is cracked is captive on that part of the trap. Replacing it will require cutting off the trap from that very short piece of pipe that goes into the wye. More bad news. That short piece of pipe is now too short to attach a new trap, so it will either have to be removed using a socket saver....or the wye and cleanout will have to be cut off and replaced also.

Not a lot of money for new parts, nor a lot of work, but if you are uncomfortable cutting PVC and solvent welding it....may be time to call a plumber.

Or, you can cross your fingers and hope it never leaks. But my money is that it will leak at the next upcoming bad time.

Perhaps someone else here will have a better idea.

Old 02-01-17, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... cut it off right behind the wye and replace it all. I would put an 1 1/2" hub adapter in the side of the wye so that it could all be slip fittings from that point on. Using an adjustable trap with slip fittings (instead of what you currently have) will make the trap and disposal removal easier.

Use purple primer and general purpose glue when you go to assemble the parts. (looks like the primer was skipped).

Old 02-01-17, 11:02 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Good suggestion X, that's how it should have been done the first time.

Old 02-01-17, 11:12 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Get rid of all that glued up crap and use a compression (slip) trap. I'd also get rid of the clean out. It is not needed when you get rid of the glued up fittings. Do you have PVC pipe coming out of the wall. If so leave about 2 inches sticking from the wall. On the stub install a 45° street ell and adapter for the trap. You will have to probably add an extension to the el from the garbage disposer.

Name:  27d5f5e4-0a2a-411f-b6cf-e2c932db9183_400.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  1.7 KB

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  11.7 KB

Name:  L.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  5.3 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 02-01-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Good point, unless your inspector is a dick, the cleanout isn't needed when the slip on traps are used.

Old 02-01-17, 02:12 PM
C
Hm, I may just try to do this myself, always a great time to learn I suppose.

Any thoughts to two piece slip nuts? https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-03-1883.../dp/B00Y0SC04C

I'm anticipating to hear that they suck and don't work, but didn't know if this was worth a try to pull off the broken slip nut and give this a shot.

Old 02-01-17, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Never used one of those and a little pricey. I would try it out, can't see any reason not to.

Old 02-01-17, 02:32 PM
The PVC trap nut is larger than a normal 1.5" slip nut.

Just come out of the wall with an elbow. Ray posted the way to do it.

Old 02-01-17, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh you are correct Handyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: