Water shutoff valve leaks at handle

Old 02-13-17, 10:11 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Water shutoff valve leaks at handle

Hello Everyone, I have a two part problem but I want to do it one problem at a time. The toilet shut off just keeps spinning, and is stuck on the on position, so i went to down stairs to shut off the valve in the basement that leads to it and the valve in the basement after shutting it off water sprang out from the nut below the handle, so i had to turn it back on and it stopped leaking, why does it leak when i shut this valve off, but stops leaking when i turn it back on? does it need new packing or can i just tighten it up. I put this shutoff valve on myself about 7years ago but only used it once before to shut the water off upstairs, at the time it did not leak when i shut it off. any suggestions i have to shut it off without leaking so i can work on the toilet shutoff. please let me know if you guys have and idea's, that i can try first? Thank you

Old 02-13-17, 12:36 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Try tightening the packing nut. Packings can dry out and shrink a little; tightening the nut usually stops the leak. If that doesn't work, replace the packing.

Old 02-13-17, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
the valve in the basement after shutting it off water sprang out from the nut below the handle,
That sounds like a packing issue. Try tightening the packing nut slightly. Too much and you won't be able to turn the handle.

It sounds like maybe the handle is stripped at the toilet shutoff valve. Without seeing the type of valve it's hard to comment. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 02-13-17, 01:51 PM
T
I will try to snug it up, and let you know later cannot do it today, also i took two pictures of the toilet shut off valve on my cell phone and i have the cable plugged into my windows 7 desktop, but i do not see how to transfer the pictures to "my pictures" so i can send upload them here. anyone know how i may do this? Thanks

Old 02-13-17, 02:39 PM
T
for some reason the computer is not recognizing the usb removable device when i plug in my tracfone to usb port. i tried a different usb port, still wont show up. will have to get back to you.

Old 02-16-17, 05:14 AM
T
I think the usb cord i am using is only a charging cord, will be getting a new usb DATA cord over the weekend, then hopefully i will be able to send you a picture of the toilet shut off valve that keeps spinning, Thank God is stuck on the on position not the off or i would not be able to flush the toilet. the only problem is after i flush the toilet now it leaks thru the nut at the bottom of the handle. but stops after a short time. will get back to you guys soon

Old 02-21-17, 09:10 AM
T
Carbide Tip, Sorry to take so long to get back to you guys, have heart problems. anyway it snugged up just the slightest bit, but that did the trick, no leak. Thank You.

Now PJ Max, my cell phone is older it holds pictures but it does not tranfer them to the computer.

the toilet shut off valve is i think back in the 80's atleast and it is not 1/2 inch. the pipe that goes into it, i believe is 3/8 but i could be wrong. its hard to get at and i used a micrometer on it, but forgot how to read it"""lol""". can i just take out the guts and replace just the guts. as i said the handle just keeps on spinning and broke on the on position. if i could take out the guts, then i would not have to look for that weird size it has to it. please let me know? Thank You

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: