What type of valve is this?

Old 02-20-17, 07:44 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type of valve is this?

So I went into work today and I was told I could fix the leaky sink and leaky pipe in the dishroom. a) I'm only 17 and b) I'm not a plumber. I fixed the leak sink and went to fix the pipe in the dishroom. I thought it was just a joint that needed more solder but this is what I saw.

The issue is that it's dripping and whenever someone turns off the hot water in the building, water sprays out. First off, what kind of valve is it? Below where the hose connects, it's got holes all the way around it. When I turned the valve until it was closed, more water came out. Secondly, how could I fix it without replacing it, dismantling or soldering (if possible, I can't make that call to replace it or call a plumber).

The hot water connects at the top and the hose (1/2 inch) runs to 2 cleaner dispensers with a T. It's right next to the 2 instant hot water heaters and the cold line has a small water heater expansion tank on it.

Name:  v1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  30.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-20-17 at 08:03 PM. Reason: reoriented, enhanced picture
Old 02-20-17, 08:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The owner should hire qualified professional to do this type work, not rely on a minor with little experience in the field.

Old 02-20-17, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Interesting setup.

The fitting screwed to the wall is used for shower heads. Drop ear fitting.
I think the reason it's leaking is that it is some type of anti-siphon valve.
Normally that type of valve is used to keep the potable water system from drawing
cleaning chemicals out of the tanks.

It's a specialized area of concern and I'm not sure if that's even the right valve for that application.

Old 02-20-17, 08:18 PM
P
I agree. But they won't have the plumber come in. Too cheap or something like that.

Another instance of this is that the dish sink drain leaks water and we just use Flex Seal (As seen on TV!) to spray around the bottom of the sink and where the stopper connects to the PVC pipe to fix the leak. Apparently the plumber couldn't fix the issue. IMO we should just replace the whole assembly.

Old 02-20-17, 08:22 PM
P
I'm sure you are right about the anti-siphon valve. The hose runs to a cleaner system.

There are plenty of odd quirks about things not being the right parts for what they are used for where I work.

Old 02-20-17, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Just replace the anti siphon part of the faucet. If its the faucet/valve itself its a 1/2" threaded boiler drain. It unscrews from that elbow...

Old 02-20-17, 08:41 PM
P
I'll make sure to pass that along with what needs to be done with the valve.

Old 02-22-17, 10:14 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
It looks like you could just replace the anti-siphon valve:
Woodford 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. Brass Add-On Hose Connection Vacuum Breaker-34H-BR - The Home Depot

The problem with those is that they are intended to be installed outside, where it's acceptable to have water pressure (and water) released in certain cases. Inside, it's probably less desirable. If you've ever turned off a antisiphon valve with a garden hose attached, it tends to spurt water as the pressures equalize.

I have no experience on the industrial side, and whether that's an acceptable fitting for a cleaning system, but it looks like it might be a cheap solution.

If the valve itself is causing problems, this will be a good replacement:
Eastman 1/2 in. Brass MIP Quarter Turn Male Hose Bibb-48600 - The Home Depot

You'll need some teflon tape, or probably better, Rectorseal to seal the threaded connection with the elbow on the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: