Mixing Stainless and Brass Fittings

Old 03-01-17, 06:50 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mixing Stainless and Brass Fittings

Suppose I'm installing a hot water recirculation pump, which is stainless steal with threaded connections (or perhaps for a small hydronic heating loop off of the water heater using a stainless pump). I'm wondering if there are any issues with using brass fittings directly on the stainless pump housing. Any corrosion problems? I've scoured the interweb and can't get a very straight answer but seems like it should be ok?

In my case I'm just putting brass pex fittings directly on the pump. I suppose I could use plastic pex fittings instead but I've never ventured over to plastic pex fittings (I'm a bit afraid of them).

Thanks!

Old 03-02-17, 03:55 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
Just doing a quick read and trying to remember my metals from school and work experience, a lot depends on the type of stainless that is used. To be safe I would go to the plastic fittings.

side story...I'm not an engineer but I consider myself an "almost" engineer. I learned a very valuable lesson early in my career as a Engineering aid and purchasing manager/agent. I was given specs from Engineering to buy some 304 ss material. The vendor was unable to get me the material but offered 316ss in it's place. I assumed 316ss was better and bought it. The Engineer ripped me new one when he found out. He explained that the 304 vs the 316 is not that one is better or worse than the other, but the design features are what is important. He specified 304ss for certain properties that the 316ss did not have. Specs are written for a reason. lesson learned.

Old 03-02-17, 09:13 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In my case I'm using Taco 006-ST4 stainless circulator pumps. I don't see anywhere in the datasheet that mentions the type of stainless steel. Taco also doesn't make any indication about the types of fittings that can be used with their pump.

Another common scenario is a stainless heat exchanger. They all come with threaded connections but no mention of what types of fittings are acceptable.

Old 03-07-17, 10:10 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 169 Posts
My understanding is that brass does not have issues with galvanic corrosion. So you can connect brass to anything, and you're safe.

Or at least not enough to mention in residential plumbing. Chemically, something may be going on, but nothing worth worrying about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: